Clutch Replacement For Me Defender

I always thought Landies were designed for simple maintenance with a big hammer, and adjustable spanner and a bit of tree? Most surprised to read this thread.

They are,

you can drop a clutch in theses in under 6 hours, 2 of you that is,

cant belive im hearing so many things there hard to do, there prob one of the eastest clutchs to change,

yes the box is on the heavy side but never a problem,

Weedspeed well lets just say i would not use him again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Landies were designed for simple maintenance with a big hammer, and adjustable spanner and a bit of tree? Most surprised to read this thread.

They are,

cant belive im hearing so many things there hard to do, there prob one of the eastest clutchs to change,

Ooooh really? :/ Can you tell me why if you wouldn't mind? And I don't think I could do it myself I don't have the tools or knowledge to do the job in hand.

Presume you only just got the landy Adam, so it's a real bugger that the clutch has 'suddenly' gone (assuming of course you didn't know it needed doing when you bought it?). I suppose that's the risk of old cars though.

I can't offer much help if you decided to tackle the job yourself in terms of time, but I do have a decent setup of tools and you'd be welcome to use any you needed if you decided to try doing this with the help of a mate etc.

One last option that could be worth trying although it might be 'clutching' at straws is to contact the local 4wd club and ask if they can recommend anyone to do this on the cheap or if they have knowledgeable (and enthusiastic/generous) members that would be willing to help you do the job yourself in exchange for bacon baps & beer etc.

Good luck whatever though. It must be very disheartening to have finally got the car you wanted and then have this happen.

Give me a shout if you want to borrow tools etc.

Yeah got the core plugs that I knew needed doing sorted got out in it then suddenly the clutch went, my heart just dropped :( It is and I should've known more about clutches than diving straight in. Thanks Cret, I will see, because I am split in two some people saying its a hard job then others saying its easy then weedspeed is a good man and another saying he is not one to be dealt with. Hmm I should, just I need my Land rover sorted soon and to register through post to the 4x4 club and then to ask and then to get it sorted will take time.

Thankyou and thats an understatement, I wanted a Land rover I could have a play with and sort problems but not this big :/

^"186,000 miles on the clock and this is the first clutch"

Speaks volumes, not many cars can gain that amount of mileage on 1 clutch!

She's very, very tidy mechanically wise as she was looked after by the Airport then a guy in Peel had it and used it for going shooting in a field but he has ruined the inside (seats recked, wires need tidying ect..) but its a weeks work nothing much. The miles is up and down a runway everyday, thats why I bought it because it has done little offroad. Once I have climbed this massive hill I should have a good time with my Land Rover

^"186,000 miles on the clock and this is the first clutch"

Speaks volumes, not many cars can gain that amount of mileage on 1 clutch!

She's very, very tidy mechanically wise as she was looked after by the Airport then a guy in Peel had it and used it for going shooting in a field but he has ruined the inside (seats recked, wires need tidying ect..) but its a weeks work nothing much. The miles is up and down a runway everyday, thats why I bought it because it has done little offroad. Once I have climbed this massive hill I should have a good time with my Land Rover

hes name wasent jim was it, that you brought it from

They are,

Bloody hell Gazza, who's next on your "I wouldn't touch them" list, first 4 wheel drive center, now Weedspeed, got your own garage per chance?

Prob one of the easiest clutches to change eh, even you say it's a 6 hour job, 2 of you, £25 per hour for a cheap mechanic, £300.

Did a fiesta clutch in november, under an hour. Thats an easy clutch.

They are,

Bloody hell Gazza, who's next on your "I wouldn't touch them" list, first 4 wheel drive center, now Weedspeed, got your own garage per chance?

Prob one of the easiest clutches to change eh, even you say it's a 6 hour job, 2 of you, £25 per hour for a cheap mechanic, £300.

what can i say not everyone is whiter than white, And why should one not say of there problems they had with a place,

That would make me as bad as them,

If i had a problem with somewhere then i say it, simples

and just because the 4 wheel drive center hire the odd iffy van out, does not mean the boys in the workshop arent good at there job, They done 2 clutchs in transits for me, and were spot on,, now that is a horrible job to do.

Well it is easy its not what i call a hard job to be honest, everything is easy to get to etc etc, i done worse.

well i would not call it a garage as such ;)

They are,

what can i say not everyone is whiter than white, And why should one not say of there problems they had with a place,

That would make me as bad as them,

If i had a problem with somewhere then i say it, simples

and just because the 4 wheel drive center hire the odd iffy van out, does not mean the boys in the workshop arent good at there job, They done 2 clutchs in transits for me, and were spot on,, now that is a horrible job to do.

Well it is easy its not what i call a hard job to be honest, everything is easy to get to etc etc, i done worse.

well i would not call it a garage as such ;)

I don't want a cowboy job done to me defender as I love her to bits, would people recomend weedspeed? And Gazza was it a bad job or something weedspeed did? Weed seemed like a nice down to earth fellow,te defender clutch seems a bit tucked away for my liking and with no knowlege whatsoever on the subject I would love someone who was experienced and trustworthy too. Gazza and Burt you may have a better time with these matters because you two seem to have done a few jobs under your belt thats why I would feel uneasy doing it myself.

Adam - just occurred to me that if you have any remote inkling in trying to do the job or at least see what's involved (I realise it's been sort of described already), see if you can download a copy of the 'Rave' landrover manuals. They're floating around online in a few places I think but I'd assume they would have an in depth description of the job with pictures. Probably...

Adam - just occurred to me that if you have any remote inkling in trying to do the job or at least see what's involved (I realise it's been sort of described already), see if you can download a copy of the 'Rave' landrover manuals. They're floating around online in a few places I think but I'd assume they would have an in depth description of the job with pictures. Probably...

I was thinking about doing by myself but I am friendless in this situation or atleast my friends would shy away from such a job and I couldn't do it on a one man band. But the Rave Land rover manual does it have other stuff on it too? Just for those jobs under the bonnet? Ohh I like pictures :lol: Thank you Cret :) Oh and on a totally different subject my camera came but waiting for the horrible weather to go away!

To be honest you cant really mess up a job like fitting a clutch... so as far as cowboy job goes its not really possible... its fitted or it isnt... simple as really aslong as all bolts are torqued correctly..

I'd say if you have the tools and time to have a bash yourself then crack on, if not drop it down to weed. he will sort it.. good chappy. always nice n friendly, an always willing to help someone out.

Is it not possible to get it offcentre or something dude, so that the spigot shaft won't go through it or whatever?

I know that's usually not a big deal as you just adjust it to get it right etc.

Yes the rave manual covers loads of stuff. I think effectively it's like a full workshop manual but I might be wrong.

Covers many models.

Quick google shows you can get it here for instance:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Big file mind...

Is it not possible to get it offcentre or something dude, so that the spigot shaft won't go through it or whatever?

I know that's usually not a big deal as you just adjust it to get it right etc.

Yes the rave manual covers loads of stuff. I think effectively it's like a full workshop manual but I might be wrong.

Covers many models.

Quick google shows you can get it here for instance:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Big file mind...

it wont all go back together if its not lined up right, so no worrys there,

i would say weed will have an old shaft to line it up b4 the box gos back in,

there a god send to line them up, beats the old head in box up a mm down a mm, slide box in doh it moved, lol

Archived