Bottled Water

lisner

Hardly local "News" I know, but we were in Shoprite today and I was amazed at the stacks and stacks of bottled water for sale. (Not flavoured stuff - just plain water).

Now if it was Inner London for example, I could understand, but the Isle of Man. . . .

If I was the boss of the Water Authority I would be asking myself serious questions.

Or am I missing something? Perhaps someone could enlightem me.

Douglas/Onchan water is awful. Especially around Athol Street and the residential area surrounding, maybe something to do with population density and water usage, I don't know. Goes stale really quickly too if left in a glass/bottle for more than 15 minutes or so.

I'd urge people to buy the Manx bottled water at least though, keep the money here if possible.

Use a Britta water filter myself, although always keep a bottle of mineral in the car, keeps well, whilst tap simply doesn't.

Depends where you live. In some parts of the Island, the tap water is fine. In others, it is foul...full of chlorine :angry: Shoprite are just exploiting a marketing opportunity, (as are Tesco and Morrisons)

Maybe the Water Board should bottle water from the 'good' areas and sell it to people who have rubbish water.

After all, Coca-Cola almost got away with selling tap water. :D

Tap water is horrible it just doesn't taste the same as bottled stuff (although some of the bottled ones aren't very nice either). If you drink the recommended 2 litres a day thats quite a few bottles a week. We get through about a bottle and half of mineral water a day so we do stock up on plenty each shop.

Water in douglas where I am is generally spot on for drinking and tastes fine. There is the occasional day though when I fill up the bath (not to drink of course!) and it is a bit coloured/and/or smells a bit of chlorine.

Goes stale really quickly too if left in a glass/bottle for more than 15 minutes or so.

Not sure how that can be if it comes out of the tap ok. How can water go 'stale'?!

Some interesting points there. Thanks.

But surely the water that comes out of our taps should be absolutely palatable.

If it's not, then why not?

The Water Authority chap that's often on the radio has spoken about how it should be crystal clear water from our taps. All the money that's spent on bottled water on this Island should make the Water Authority ashamed.

Maybe they think the water we pay for should be only good enough to wash BMW's and mix cement for buildings.

If you want to actually DRINK water then you have to pay for it at the supermarket.

I live in Douglas and drink it from the tap. No taste of chlorine.

If you can taste the chlorine, fill a jug and put it in the fridge for a bit. All the chlorine evaporates off the top. Cheaper than a filter and bottled water!

Archived