Quarter Bridge Closed

theman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder if the doi are going to put any traffic light's at saddle road?

or if there going to clear all the parked cars from saddle road so traffic can can drive on both lanes ??

You could drive down there and take a look tomorrow if you're that worried about getting stuck in a jam

I'm with the DOI on this one, they are making the QB roundabouts better looking and better flowing (I hope, but that is the intention) and have so far undertaken the works on the islands busiest junction without any real holdups.

They are shutting it over weekends to cause the least amount of disruption and dont forget they are only spending a few bob not the millions that was planned, so I say good luck to them and for once the guys down there actually seem to be working from what I have seen.

Just getting rid of those red and white barriers will make it all worthwhile.

Who is in that much of a rush on a weekend that they cant allow for this? Hardly Mayhem...............Use the ring road, thats what its there for and even in normal traffic, is quite often, the quicker route

I'm glad the proposed plan of knocking down the QB pub has been shelved, very expensive for no real gain where the approaches on three sides are only single carriageways!

Only a minor inconvenience anyway.

Exactly Max and no matter what they did to the roundabout, as you say, all the roads leading off it are single carriageways, so it would make no difference to the flow.

The improvements they are making will just tidy up the place and hopefully make it safer, not better flowing as I said in error before. :blush:

I'm with the DOI on this one, they are making the QB roundabouts better looking and better flowing (I hope, but that is the intention) and have so far undertaken the works on the islands busiest junction without any real holdups.

They are shutting it over weekends to cause the least amount of disruption and dont forget they are only spending a few bob not the millions that was planned, so I say good luck to them and for once the guys down there actually seem to be working from what I have seen.

Who is in that much of a rush on a weekend that they cant allow for this? Hardly Mayhem...............Use the ring road, thats what its there for and even in normal traffic, is quite often, the quicker route

where does the better flowing come from????? there are as far as i can see going to be the same amount of lanes with the same route options. it could flow ok as it was if every other twat didn't sit there wondering if it was their turn to move cos they don't get roundabouts.

where does the better flowing come from????? there are as far as i can see going to be the same amount of lanes with the same route options. it could flow ok as it was if every other twat didn't sit there wondering if it was their turn to move cos they don't get roundabouts.

Please see above for my groveling apologies for making a mistake in my previous post.

Please see above for my groveling apologies for making a mistake in my previous post.

I speak as an individual:

During the works the traffic lights at Groves Road/New Castletown Road and Pulrose Bridge will be operating TT mode which will help the flow of traffic and give priority at Pulrose Bridge to vehicles travelling from Douglas turning left towards Pulrose and Vehicles coming from Pulrose, bearing in mind that vehicles will need to get to and from the businesses between Pulrose Bridge and Quarterbridge. At Groves Road/New Castletown Road the sequence of traffic lights will operate as though the access road is in operation, with traffic coming from and going to Peel through Saddle Road replicating what would be a similar system. I would imagine this will help immensely, coupled with the fact that the temporary traffic lights at Tromode have been taken away for the weekends and the good public being considerate to one another the people working at the QB will endeavour to carry out what works they have to do to improve the layout with the minimum of impact to the people of the Isle of Man.

Matt, the timing at both ends of pulrose have been fucked with and are attrocious. Add to that the 'experimental' timing at the top of Railway Hill sees all lights on red for abour 20 seconds at times letting traffic back right down Lord Street past the Quines Corner lights.

Just change those ones to all green for Lord street, all green for pedestrians then all green for athol street and stop having an over complicated system where the lights themselves get confused.

I will be visiting QB at the weekend with camera to see exactly how hard the DoI are looking to make use of the road closure. I expect to see tea mugs, smokes and handinpockets galore....prove me wrong ;)

Also Matt,how comes it takes three electricians at 7.10 on a wednesday morning to fix/alter the lights at the bottom of bray hill?The control panel is only big enough for one person to slouch on.

I'll take the bait on this one ;) You are more than likely a tax payer, I am a public servant and therefore pay my wages and have every right to know what you are paying for when you ask.

The underground loop detectors were failing due to general wear and tear (this signal set has been in for donkey's years)to the point that a permanent demand was called on the Tromode Road approach regardless of the amount of traffic, therefore holding up the main road and you may have noticed this meant that the Tromode Road got green even when there were no vehicles on that approach again holding up traffic on other approaches, We started at 7.00hrs because there wasn't much traffic about so that we could read the detector cards rather than see all the detectors woorking all at the same time. We also use an aluminium ladder at certain times to "go over" the detectors to trigger them when it is quiet, we rquire one person at the controller checking the handset display and detector cards, one person to trigger the detectors and one person to watch the road for traffic to warn the person with the ladder to get to safety.

Matt, the timing at both ends of pulrose have been fucked with and are attrocious. Add to that the 'experimental' timing at the top of Railway Hill sees all lights on red for abour 20 seconds at times letting traffic back right down Lord Street past the Quines Corner lights.

Just change those ones to all green for Lord street, all green for pedestrians then all green for athol street and stop having an over complicated system where the lights themselves get confused.

I will be visiting QB at the weekend with camera to see exactly how hard the DoI are looking to make use of the road closure. I expect to see tea mugs, smokes and handinpockets galore....prove me wrong ;)

I know you have a personal vendetta/crusade against the DoI, however, the timings are not attrocious and have been calculated using the latest LINSIG software after having taken traffic counts. The staff at the DoI who determine the timings have done so with the very best in mind for the motorist and can't please absolutely everyone all the time. I accept that at times traffic congestion can be frustrating, with this in mind the DoI endeavour to strive to make life easier for all concerned, not all people understand this but those with atleast a ounce of intelligence and an adult view of life do.

Archived