Quarter Bridge Closed

theman

Also Matt,how comes it takes three electricians at 7.10 on a wednesday morning to fix/alter the lights at the bottom of bray hill?The control panel is only big enough for one person to slouch on.

I'll take the bait on this one ;) You are more than likely a tax payer, I am a public servant and therefore pay my wages and have every right to know what you are paying for when you ask.

The underground loop detectors were failing due to general wear and tear (this signal set has been in for donkey's years)to the point that a permanent demand was called on the Tromode Road approach regardless of the amount of traffic, therefore holding up the main road and you may have noticed this meant that the Tromode Road got green even when there were no vehicles on that approach again holding up traffic on other approaches, We started at 7.00hrs because there wasn't much traffic about so that we could read the detector cards rather than see all the detectors woorking all at the same time. We also use an aluminium ladder at certain times to "go over" the detectors to trigger them when it is quiet, we rquire one person at the controller checking the handset display and detector cards, one person to trigger the detectors and one person to watch the road for traffic to warn the person with the ladder to get to safety.

Why not stick some cameras there whilst your at it. Every morning I walk past that junction, and every day I see cars chancing a red light (coming up from Tromode).

And yes, I told the Police once, but they weren't interested without a second witness. A camera would be self financing in no time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg men standing around getting over time.

what a joke i counted 12 men standing around that must be on doudle time with a day in lieu

Despite the fact I have no technical knowledge of this process, I think you are being a little sensationalist. One driving the Vogele. At least 5 banksmen. White hats are engineers in charge of the job, and the other ones on the right hand side, no idea. Plus, the wagon is loading the tarmac into the Paver ready to spread. Don't suppose the others have much to do while the machine is loading. Double time - yes but no time off in lieu for a Sunday!

What she said. They all looked pretty busy, with more people working round the corner.

The he is a she!

@iominfra IOM Infrastructure

Quarter Bridge open

50 minutes ago

WTF, so now we as taxpayers are paying for some Government employee to do a Twitter Feed?

Is that correct?

Nobody pays any attention to announcements on "Roadwatch" so what is the point of that extra feed.

As has been witnessed today, while I sat in McDonald's eating my lunch, drivers will continue past ROAD CLOSED AHEAD signs until they actually meet a physical barrier. Look annoyed and turn their cars around and by the look on their faces probably, planning to moan to their local MHK about the way their day was wrecked.

Quarter Bridge open

50 minutes ago

WTF, so now we as taxpayers are paying for some Government employee to do a Twitter Feed?

Is that correct?

Nobody pays any attention to announcements on "Roadwatch" so what is the point of that extra feed.

As has been witnessed today, while I sat in McDonald's eating my lunch, drivers will continue past ROAD CLOSED AHEAD signs until they actually meet a physical barrier. Look annoyed and turn their cars around, probably planning to moan to their local MHK about the way their day was wrecked.

You missed the bit where they wind down the window and hurl abuse at the DOI worker doing the job

Quarter Bridge open

50 minutes ago

Is that correct?

That's correct and it's been running for quite a while now. Sterling job they're doing, too - up-to-date traffic info which was especially good and on the ball during the recent snowfall. Heck, they even went so far when I sent a tweet asking for a gritbox refill, the thing was full again the next day. :)

If you're behind the times and not using twitter then that's your loss - a lot of people are following it and it's providing useful info straight to people's phones - well done, DoI!

Also Matt,how comes it takes three electricians at 7.10 on a wednesday morning to fix/alter the lights at the bottom of bray hill?The control panel is only big enough for one person to slouch on.

I'll take the bait on this one ;) You are more than likely a tax payer, I am a public servant and therefore pay my wages and have every right to know what you are paying for when you ask.

The underground loop detectors were failing due to general wear and tear (this signal set has been in for donkey's years)to the point that a permanent demand was called on the Tromode Road approach regardless of the amount of traffic, therefore holding up the main road and you may have noticed this meant that the Tromode Road got green even when there were no vehicles on that approach again holding up traffic on other approaches, We started at 7.00hrs because there wasn't much traffic about so that we could read the detector cards rather than see all the detectors woorking all at the same time. We also use an aluminium ladder at certain times to "go over" the detectors to trigger them when it is quiet, we rquire one person at the controller checking the handset display and detector cards, one person to trigger the detectors and one person to watch the road for traffic to warn the person with the ladder to get to safety.

Thanks for your informative post Matt..

I think one of the biggest issues is why traffic is allowed to park so near these controlled junctions - in many cases permanently parked on the pads, causing havoc with the programming sequence :(

Thanks for your informative post Matt..

I think one of the biggest issues is why traffic is allowed to park so near these controlled junctions - in many cases permanently parked on the pads, causing havoc with the programming sequence :(

I have often wondered about that myself if parked/non moving cars effect the road sensors. Whilst on that point the road sensors at the junction of glen vine school don't detect pushbikes so if you come up the glen darragh road the lights wont change to let you get into main road glen vine.

I have often wondered about that myself if parked/non moving cars effect the road sensors. Whilst on that point the road sensors at the junction of glen vine school don't detect pushbikes so if you come up the glen darragh road the lights wont change to let you get into main road glen vine.

As Matt has said before, if you want the signals to "trigger" use a set of aluminium ladders. :cool: Simples........

If you're behind the times and not using twitter then that's your loss - a lot of people are following it and it's providing useful info straight to people's phones - well done, DoI!

Sorry Amadeus but I think that most people are NOT hooked up to twitter on the IOM,

The DOI Twitter feed is excellent. Up to date, usually out of office hours and they respond to questions. I doubt it costs much at all and will just be an existing member of staff that will be updating.

Quarter Bridge open

50 minutes ago

Is that correct?

That's correct and it's been running for quite a while now. Sterling job they're doing, too - up-to-date traffic info which was especially good and on the ball during the recent snowfall. Heck, they even went so far when I sent a tweet asking for a gritbox refill, the thing was full again the next day. :)

so having upto date info about the roads available on your phone ( which you can't use while driving??? ) is a good idea then??

Sorry Amadeus but I think that most people are NOT hooked up to twitter on the IOM,

The people who follow the DoI on twitter are - next to the likes of you and me, this includes pretty much all the media types, meaning they get the info quicker and in return, twittophobes like you get it quicker, too. Christ, there they do something actually useful, run it really well at all hours, and people still knock it :blink:

so having upto date info about the roads available on your phone ( which you can't use while driving??? ) is a good idea then??

Sigh..... On your phone, your PC, your ipad, etc...

Archived