Quarter Bridge Closed

theman

It almost looks like DOI have someone in-place who actually have an idea about what they're doing....

It does, doesn't it? If only every other govt dept could be persuaded to introduce such a revolutionary idea.

.... and not just build roads with the absolute minimum lane widths having tried them out on the office desk with their Dinky toys :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this before and am now going to do it again, well done to the DoI gang that did all the groundwork during the week getting the junction ready for the weekend closures for surfacing.

I have been told that they are the "Ramsey" gang but wherever they are from, well done for a good job.

It almost looks like DOI have someone in-place who actually have an idea about what they're doing....

It does, doesn't it? If only every other govt dept could be persuaded to introduce such a revolutionary idea.

Another revolutionary idea is that if you are going south you can go out past the MEA and NSC avoiding Quaterbridge altogether. But some people seem to be drawn to it as moths to a flame.

omg men standing around getting over time.

what a joke i counted 12 men standing around that must be on doudle time with a day in lieu

Your point is?

As you seem to be a highways engineer you'll already know what a quick google told me, and I'm now led to believe that it takes six men to operate the machines in a paving crew.

Infact there should be another two men added to this number to rake the joints, rake around and clean off any Ironwork, gulleys etc whilst the paver remains constant.

This means that men can't jump off the machine and leave their tasks to do other things.

Paver Crew.

*A planer operator to plane any existing road out.

*The driver of the vogel (paver)

*2 men on the back doing the levels

*2 men on the rollers (one rolling one polishing)

The rest of the men will be there to dig out the road with jack hammers where needed and to lift and re-set any iron work and also shovel and rake tar into the places where the machine won't go. These men will aslo be utilised on other tasks.

There may be 12 men, but if you take them all into account:

The engineers (looks like 2 there)

The machine operators (6)

The men working behind the machine (2) (raking joints and Ironwork).

Another (2) men (working ahead of the machine) and preparing.

Total 12.

Tarmac comes to a site hot and has to remain hot to lay, it goes cold very quickly especially in the winter.

I don't think that the amount of men in the photographs on that job is excessive, infact they must be short of men in general, as going by what I've read on laying tarmac a few more men on that job wouldn't have gone amiss.

Also a quick phone call on your behalf has just assured me that men working on a Sunday don't get a day in lieu.

now now lay off the highway board, it cant be easy for them driving round findin new places to park up n sleep n have a pasty 5 times a day AND take it in turns to man the shovel!

but still wagons need 2 lanes,

why o why they need that bit in the middle i dont know

I think it's to make it easier and safer for pedestrians to cross there gazza?

That is exactly why they did it and it is bollox. People should not be trying to cross the road in the middle of what is probably the busiest round about on the Island. They could have saved a shed load of time and money by putting removeable fences to prevent all but the lowest common denominators from crossing in that dangerous place, just as they have around most of it. Remove the bollox from the middle and hey presto it would flow even better.

That is exactly why they did it and it is bollox. People should not be trying to cross the road in the middle of what is probably the busiest round about on the Island. They could have saved a shed load of time and money by putting removeable fences to prevent all but the lowest common denominators from crossing in that dangerous place, just as they have around most of it. Remove the bollox from the middle and hey presto it would flow even better.

If you've come from union mills direction on the pavement, which other way are you going to go to get into Douglas? You can't cross before the roundabout because there's no pavement on the access road side. You stay on the pavement and it doubles back and heads towards Bray Hill, with no pavement on the other side to cross to.

Crossing there shouldn't be dangerous, it's a junction, cars shouldn't be going quick.

Agreed, the pavement layout around that area leads to ppl having to cross between the roundabouts.

A little forsight and they could have put in an underpass alongside the river coming up in the rugby grounds and QB carpark respectively. Any form of pedestrian crossing would lead to both roundabouts snarling up very quickly when they were on red.

Archived