Electricity Charges Set To Increase

Amadeus

Electricity bills are set to increase by over £40 a year from next month.

The Manx Electricity Authority is stopping a rebate on the standing charge from April.

The charge was approved in last year's budget.

Brilliant - the next rip-off merchants adding to the fun. Manx Gas, MEA, MT, 6% inflation - freedom to flourish, my arse.....

The Manx Electricity Authority is stopping a rebate on the standing charge from April.

Brilliant - the next rip-off merchants adding to the fun. Manx Gas, MEA, MT, 6% inflation - freedom to flourish, my arse.....

The standing charge should never have been dropped. It was calculated correctly to cover the ongoing costs of maintaining a supply to a property and having the meter read. When it was dropped then only organisations that benifitted where places like churches etc who rarely use electric during the week. When the standing charge was dropped the costs would have been added to the unit price for the domestic customer.

Whilst on topic, can someone please explain to me why nobody has been brough to account for the so called illegal loan? This is really straining Government reserves looking at the pink book.

The standing charge should never have been dropped. It was calculated correctly to cover the ongoing costs of maintaining a supply to a property and having the meter read. When it was dropped then only organisations that benifitted where places like churches etc who rarely use electric during the week. When the standing charge was dropped the costs would have been added to the unit price for the domestic customer.

Whilst on topic, can someone please explain to me why nobody has been brough to account for the so called illegal loan? This is really straining Government reserves looking at the pink book.

Should have said Expenditure not Reserves....

Because it was a "so called" illegal loan. It was not and has never been tested in court. Some party's state it was illegal others do not agree. If and until a definitive position is found what action can be taken.

My view is that it was unlikely to have been illegal as the bank's lawyers would have crawled all over the papeperwork and checked that the company had the power to borrow before they lent the money. That is standard practice. OK they might have made a mistake but if you have a legal opinion that taking the loan was valid you probably have the makings of a fairly decent defence

I can quote what I was told, the MEA saga has been swept under the carpet because the CEO had too much on Gov. ministers who were equally as culpable that they reached a mutually beneficial impasse all of course allegedly !

The standing charge rebate has an interesting history - which is in some ways still relevent today.

The MEA didn't cancel it, they have continued to charge for it the entire time.

What happened was that the government started paying it for the MEA's customers.

Why did it do that?

Well it was down to the Poll tax!!

When the Tories was trying to force the Poll tax through they realized it was too expensive to be successful and so they raised VAT by 2.5% and cut the Poll tax by £140.

The IOM Government benefited from the increased tax take from VAT, but the population didn't benefit from a £140 reduction in the Poll Tax, because there was no poll tax on the IOM!

To compensate for this the IOM Government agreed to reduce electricity bills on the Island, and so agreed to pay the standing charge.

Now they've broken that agreement - it's effectively a tax rise, but it is being made to look like the fault of the MEA. Its not, its simply the result of the continued move to tax people indirectly on their consumption rather than on their income.

The MEA was briefly used as a conduit against this trend, but now the Treasury has decided it would rather spend the money as it sees fit, rather than letting us do it - that's governments for you!

Over the so called illegal loans - Tynwald retrospectively sanctioned them - it is a huge legal controversy whether it needed to do this, but that debate is now moot, they have been sanctioned and that means they are now definitely legal!

I think you will find that not only is the standing charge being added onto the bills,the cost per unit is going up again too,they also slip a odd 100th of a penny onto the standing charge as well,I think it's about 11.51p a day at the moment,just watch it will go up,making the total unit cost even bigger,well the MEA have to find the money for that loan from somewhere,a good book to read is "The Skeet" printed by the Liberal Vannin Party,it gives the history and rundown of this saga.

If we needed the power station which was built, we therefore needed the loan.

Everyone has focussed on the loan, when we should really start with the station. Once it's determined that we needed to build it then and only then should we consider how to fund it.

If the loan which was arranged was the most cost effective way to fund the building then how the loan was arranged is largely irrelevant.

If security of supply was the driving force then we were probably on a hiding to nothing. Plugged into the UK Grid, we can be turned off at any time. But plugged into the gas network apparently we can't!!

Whatever method of generation we choose, we will always be at the whim of external forces - unless we use peat/locally mined coal or our strategic felt reserves.

The standing charge rebate has an interesting history - which is in some ways still relevent today.

Now they've broken that agreement - it's effectively a tax rise, but it is being made to look like the fault of the MEA. Its not, its simply the result of the continued move to tax people indirectly on their consumption rather than on their income.

That was very interesting, I bet many have forgotten that.

So, in effect, we are now being charged around 22.5% VAT here? Except you pay 2.5% of it directly to the MEA?

we needed the original loan based on the original costs, the extra 100+ million never mentioned in the original costings is what the hooha is about. why did this ( like most other government funded schemes ) run way over the original estaimated budget??

we needed the original loan based on the original costs, the extra 100+ million never mentioned in the original costings is what the hooha is about. why did this ( like most other government funded schemes ) run way over the original estaimated budget??

because someone somewhere was pulling the wool clean over peoples eyes,

I know how much the lads were getting for putting the pipes in the ground, and i kid you not it was fooking mentel the rate they got,

and it wasent the companys that said we charge this much, it was the MEA or who ever the main contractor was, turned round and told the company you will charge us this amount per meter, and i can tell you now the companys were left openend mouth of the amount, but they were not going to complain,

And if you put the prices back then for the pipe and compare them to what the price they get now for the same pipe there doing at the moment and then your eyes really are opend to the amount that was paid ,

it was a field day and it has made a few people millioners in one year

because someone somewhere was pulling the wool clean over peoples eyes,

I know how much the lads were getting for putting the pipes in the ground, and i kid you not it was fooking mentel the rate they got,

and it wasent the companys that said we charge this much, it was the MEA or who ever the main contractor was, turned round and told the company you will charge us this amount per meter, and i can tell you now the companys were left openend mouth of the amount, but they were not going to complain,

And if you put the prices back then for the pipe and compare them to what the price they get now for the same pipe there doing at the moment and then your eyes really are opend to the amount that was paid ,

it was a field day and it has made a few people millioners in one year

Certain land owners did very very well out of it too. :cool:

Archived