Safeway Now Shoprite?

Tea&Biscuits

Now I know I live in London and this dosent really concern me directly but arnt you all a bit pished off that Safeway has been bought out by Shopshi*te?

Does it mean there is not goin to be a Safeway in Douglas anymore????? Thats bad considering that now it is Morrisons its alot cheaper!!!! i have always found Shoprite to be very expensive???

When i come back to the IOM I will be well annoyed to not be able to shop at Morrisons!!!!

What do you all think of this????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a bit of a round robin recently to try and work out who was cheaper. I think that Morrisons would win if you chose to pick all of the 'own brand' stuff and Bettabuy range, but TBH, some of it was pretty rank. (IMO of course!)

I guess everyone is different, but for cost my table would be:

1. Morrisons

2. Tesco

3. Shoprite

And as I prefer shopping in Tesco, ease of parking, normally quick service, better quality of goods and more manx produce I overlook the few pennies which could be saved.

But I agree with you, I think Shoprite is considerably more expensive than the other two.

It's a shame to lose diversity. But I'm also chuffed that a local company is doing so well and prefer to spend locally when I can. Shoprite also brings robinson's fruit back into the town centre, which I welcome too.

But I'm also chuffed that a local company is doing so well and prefer to spend locally when I can.

Part of the reason they're doing so well is that they buy as many tiny parcels of land that they can around the Island, and then charge a fortune to anyone who wants to develop the land around it. Good business thinking, but not exactly looking out for locals. Although the developers usually aren't local anyway, so pfft.

Is it true tesco's may be moving out of town because the co-op own the land down there and want to sell it?

I had heard that Shoprite wanted to move to Morrisons site and also heard that Tescos wanted to buy the Victoria Road site off Shoprite so that the Tesco site could be sold off to Dandara for housing development.

Well, the first part was right, just going to have to wait and see about the rest...

:ph34r:

Archived