Safeway Now Shoprite?

Tea&Biscuits

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see why Shoprite have done this deal, only to stop another rival moving in. It's only a few minutes away by car to their main store in Victoria road and they have just built a new one in Onchan. The Safeway site is typical 1960's building - low ceilings - poor access. Surely no one is going to go into the grotty Chester st carpark just to shop at this new branch. The store only does the current level of business because its the only branch of Safeways/Morrisons on the island, apart from the small store in Ramsey, who rumours have it that the Coop are interested in taking over.

I usually shop in Shoprite but do occasionally use Tescos for a big on line shop. I did a comparison of prices between Shoprite and Tesco from my receipts and one some items Tescos were a couple of pence cheaper, and on others Shoprite were a bit cheaper, so I think that on average they are pretty much the same.

I usually shop in Shoprite but do occasionally use Tescos for a big on line shop.  I did a comparison of prices between Shoprite and Tesco from my receipts and one some items Tescos were a couple of pence cheaper, and on others Shoprite were a bit cheaper, so I think that on average they are pretty much the same.

That is a fair summary in my view.

But I like choice and quality and Shoprite lacks this.

For example they promote Iceland products which are cheap and nasty.

And Waitrose stuff is floor sweepings!

As far as meat and poultry goes Manx is by far the best, but Duncan bakery Manx bread is inferior to tesco bread yet costs more.

Waitrose stuff is in no way "floor sweepings"! It is slightly on the pricey side, but very nice food.

Not on a par with Marks & Spencers though, and not much cheaper.

Can't comment on Iceland stuff, but I normally shop at Shoprite and am also glad to see a local company do well. Queues are better at Shoprite too on average.

Only been to Tescos a couple of times, good bread but wasn't impressed with anything else.

Is it true tesco's may be moving out of town because the co-op own the land down there and want to sell it?

" . . . . . well I heard . . . ." that Tesco land was once nunnery land and it has been discovered that there is a covenant that no alcohol is to be sold on the premises. So they are having to move.

I heard that one... from a Taxi driver.....who was drunk......

so has to be more or less exactly spot on.

Shame to see Morrisons go, always good to have competition - I tend to use all supermarkets, varies a tedious task .

However, I do hate using that Chester Street Car park - it reeks...

A 'developer; will probably buy it and it will get pulled down (not that that would be a shame, as it is a horrible building) - oh yeah - and more apartments for Douglas ...

This supermarket thing is a minefield.

M&S sell-by dates usually have only a day or two left,

Shoprite don't tend to have that many offers like bogof's or 3for2 type things, Robbies flowers don't last as long as Morrisons or Tesco,

Don't seem to like the Iceland or Waitrose lines.

Tesco often get 'empty-shelf'ed !

Best offer lately, Lemon basted chicken for £0.50 - tasted super :D

Will miss Morrison's :(

I enjoy the ready cooked ones from Shoprite..... makes financial sense

They are nice, although the price has slowly been creeping up and we find it's cheaper to buy a chicken and stick it in the oven. Dunno about Ramsey (I'd have thought it would be the same) but the Douglas ones are damn expensive to what they used to be.

I can't wait to see what they do with the place. As a former Safeway employee during my school years I know there is a rather large warehouse space out the back which, with Shoprite's warehouse in Pulrose is likely to become free space. A sublet to another store or an expansion of the floorspace in the current store perhaps?

Someone earlier mentioned about how it was nice that Shoprite brought Robinsons fruit into the town centre. No it isn't! Robinsons fruit is in my experience poorer quality than just about anywhere else (Safeway, Tesco etc.)

It is disappointing that Morrisons are selling up, for my mind most of the stuff they sell is decent quality and not M&S prices either. Plus the apple bootlaces for 59p are fantastic.

Archived