You, sir, are almost certainly a troll.

But in the unlikely event that you're not, here's some key phrases for you:

Regarding fission vs. fusion

• Binding energy per nucleon
  • Exothermic vs. endothermic processes
  • The Coulomb barrier

Regarding fusion products in power reactors

• Spontaneous vs. neutron-induced decay
  • Natural (spontaneous) decay series of uranium-235 (hint, it doesn't contain any iodine isotopes)

Finally, consider the difference between the risk associated with a hazardous substance and a measurement of the substance's incidence. Levels of I-131 may have been 126 (or whatever) times higher, but the increased cancer risk from consuming water with the peak level of I-131 was an extra 0.004%. As I say, almost indistinguishable from zero.

no im not a troll.

and i see you missed the point that your exsample only gave way to there being one release.

your still on about one part that last days and the ones that last years.

and by the end of next week they all be gone. think your maths are off a little there

hell next u be saying chynoble was no threat to people. :rolleyes:

the fact that 2 people who were at least 125 miles away from the plant had high readings does not impose a theret to you, and its all safe.

and i guess the plants still not admitting steam at this vary moment again, and im sure if it was the steam would be harmless, and the pools would be at 56c so the steam is just a figure of peoples minds :rolleyes:

you work for tepco, and i claim my £5

this is a lvl 7 along side chynoble, or do you disagree with that, and everything will be ok and they git it all fixed up in no time

this is a lvl 7 along side chynoble, or do you disagree with that, and everything will be ok and they git it all fixed up in no time

Gazza, you are making a lot of claims in your posts. Please could you attribute sources to them as it would be useful to determine credibility and would help in taking you seriously?

At the moment, you’re coming over as sounding positively giddy about the situation which sounds somewhat ghoulish.

There is of course one aspect to this disater that seems to be getting overlooked, the shortage of electrical generating capacity as a result of the loss of the plant.

I've been to Japan in the summer and many parts get very hot and very humid, especially the major cities and population centres.

Because of this air conditioning is a must, especially in tall and glass covered office buildings and factories, and so come the time that the air con becomes a necessity, and it does, I wonder about the effect of the huge electrical load on a greatly reduced generating capacity.

To try to think of how a country like Japan will recover, let alone what has happened and continues to happen is doing to the Japanese people, is staggering in its immensity.

Japan will recover. They don't have any other option really.

But on the point of radioactivity being found great distances from the plant, I think we need to be careful. After all, we really only find things when we are looking for it. Who can say there was not radioactive particles dotted around the country before this happened? After all,the generating company apparently have a track record of secrecy.

If Sellafield went tits up tomorrow and 100 scientists descended on the island with radiation equipment, would we have a benchmark to use as a genuine before and after comparison?

the fact that 2 people who were at least 125 miles away from the plant had high readings does not impose a theret to you, and its all safe.

It's not a fact though - these findings by chinese scientists miles away and reported by one or two news outlets haven't been verified. Disasters create misinformation and opportunism.

It's not a fact though - these findings by chinese scientists miles away and reported by one or two news outlets haven't been verified. Disasters create misinformation and opportunism.

Yup. Chinese press are not exactly famous for honest reporting. And there is no love lost between those countries.

But on the point of radioactivity being found great distances from the plant, I think we need to be careful. After all, we really only find things when we are looking for it. Who can say there was not radioactive particles dotted around the country before this happened? After all,the generating company apparently have a track record of secrecy.

If Sellafield went tits up tomorrow and 100 scientists descended on the island with radiation equipment, would we have a benchmark to use as a genuine before and after comparison?

Something will recover, but it won't be anything like the Japan that is presently being devastated. That is a thing that is gone for ever.

Another aspect that is being ignored is the economic effect of the fallout from the earthquake / tsunami / nuclear pollution and its effects on the global banking and deposit holding. Japan holds a huge amount of US debt, and if it comes to needing cash it's not beyond Japan to sell off that debt at “n” cents on the US$ where “n” is a deal less than 100.

Considering the amounts involved that could push the US$ beyond tipping point, a place it's perilously near right now and that would put the cat amongst the pigeons as far as the global economy is concerned.

There's a whole lot more than the effects of nuclear contamination that will cause fall out as a result of whats happened to Japan.

Something will recover, but it won't be anything like the Japan that is presently being devastated. That is a thing that is gone for ever.

Another aspect that is being ignored is the economic effect of the fallout from the earthquake / tsunami / nuclear pollution and its effects on the global banking and deposit holding. Japan holds a huge amount of US debt, and if it comes to needing cash it's not beyond Japan to sell off that debt at “n” cents on the US$ where “n” is a deal less than 100.

Considering the amounts involved that could push the US$ beyond tipping point, a place it's perilously near right now and that would put the cat amongst the pigeons as far as the global economy is concerned.

There's a whole lot more than the effects of nuclear contamination that will cause fall out as a result of whats happened to Japan.

I think the main worry is not the debt, but the loss of manufacturing output. And although Japanese industry is well spread out around the world, much of it's core Chip manufacturing capability is on the mainland.

So we may see a technology slowdown for a while....... but because of this, Japan has no option but to recover. Because the world as it is, needs their factories.

Edit to add:

Much of the world's industry relies on Japanese technology. Everything from traffic lights to car building robots contain Japanese manufactured parts. The world can't afford for Japan not to recover.

Gazza, you are making a lot of claims in your posts. Please could you attribute sources to them as it would be useful to determine credibility and would help in taking you seriously?

At the moment, you’re coming over as sounding positively giddy about the situation which sounds somewhat ghoulish.

no problem.

no im not giddy about it at all to be honest,

just that theres so much being held back from the company and the jap govenment about this,

Levels of radioactive iodine in seawater just offshore of the embattled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant spiked to more than 1,250 times higher than normal, Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency said Saturday.

My link

and japan are prob on a good scale for telling the truth.

I think the main worry is not the debt, but the loss of manufacturing output. And although Japanese industry is well spread out around the world, much of it's core Chip manufacturing capability is on the mainland.

So we may see a technology slowdown for a while....... but because of this, Japan has no option but to recover. Because the world as it is, needs their factories.

Edit to add:

Much of the world's industry relies on Japanese technology. Everything from traffic lights to car building robots contain Japanese manufactured parts. The world can't afford for Japan not to recover.

Not Japan's debt, the debt that the US has TO Japan. If the Japanese want to get some cash in quickly they may accept a loss on the dollar which stands to put the Dollar in danger of tipping and if that were to happen, as it very well might, then the whole house in which the Dollar is the reserve currency could be in trouble big time as other nations thought to cut their losses and dump the Dollar before things got too bad.

It could very well happen, especially as there is growing pressure for an alternative “reserve” to the Dollar froma number of countries already.

It's the basic weakness against today's (black) Gold Standard aka oil that is seeing the price of oil rise because of the weakness of the Dollar as much as anything and made even worse by the stupid quantitative easing policy aka printing money with nothing to back it up.

Edit to add:

Much of the world's industry relies on Japanese technology. Everything from traffic lights to car building robots contain Japanese manufactured parts. We can't afford for Japan not to recover.

Not Japan's debt, the debt that the US has TO Japan. If the Japanese want to get some cash in quickly they may accept a loss on the dollar which stands to put the Dollar in danger of tipping and if that were to happen, as it very well might, then the whole house in which the Dollar is the reserve currency could be in trouble big time as other nations thought to cut their losses and dump the Dollar before things got too bad.

It could very well happen, especially as there is growing pressure for an alternative “reserve” to the Dollar froma number of countries already.

It's the basic weakness against today's (black) Gold Standard aka oil that is seeing the price of oil rise because of the weakness of the Dollar as much as anything and made even worse by the stupid quantitative easing policy aka printing money with nothing to back it up.

I am more worried about jobs. That is, when machines break down, will the Japanese manufactured parts be available to repair them.

The world cannot allow Japan to fail, because the products Japan manufactures are so deeply woven into the worlds manufacturing technologies. Mitsubishi products for example, probably drive about 40% of the worlds automated production lines, their carbide insert tooling possibly cuts 30% of the world's machined components....Add to that, companies such as Omron, Oriental motors, Mitotoyo, Sony.....

I am not talking about about investment bankers sitting in their Ivory towers worrying about oil prices. If Japan were to fail, so would much of the world's manufacturing. I don't think the world can afford to watch japan fail.

While you may not see "made in Japan" on many of the goods you depend on, believe me, most of what you use day to day is probably made with "made in Japan" products.

china could jump in here and start takeing some of this market maybe.

Concerns about radiation in Japan have now spread to the soil surrounding the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor. One level that was reported this week was high enough to suggest people in that area should be evacuated, an expert says. But he cautions that it's hard to draw conclusions about these spot measurements without more data.

Based on a rough estimate, a person standing on soil with 163,000 Bq/kg of cesium-137 would receive about 150 millisieverts per year of radiation, says Chen. This is well above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standard of 50 millisieverts per year for an evacuation. (Per day, it's 0.41 millisieverts, which is equivalent to four chest x-rays.) But Chen adds, "one point [of data] doesn't mean that much."

The hot spot is similar to levels found in some areas affected by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear reactor accident in the former Soviet Union. Assuming the radiation is no more than 2 centimeters deep, Chen calculates that 163,000 Bq/kg is roughly equivalent to 8 million Bq/m2. The highest cesium-137 levels in some villages near Chernobyl were 5 million Bq/m2.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/03/japan-soil-measurements-surprisingly.html?rss=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

EU to double the radation limits of cesium 134 and cesium-137 per kilo in food sold on the markets in the EU to be in force for this weekend.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swr.de%2Fnachrichten%2Frp%2F-%2Fid%3D1682%2Fnid%3D1682%2Fdid%3D7819018%2Fmtoj7s%2Findex.html

water in reactor turbine building is 10 million times higher in. yes 10 million times higher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12873439

that is reactor number 2. number 3 had 10000times the amount in water.

so for 2 weeks they said there was no breach in the containment vessals and all was swell, so in fact they have lied again about this as this more than proves that 2 reactors have crackes in them which to be fair anybody who knows about this said this was the case 2 weeks ago.

There no saying this report is wrong and its not 10 million times higher, hmmm

It looks like we are still some way from getting things stablized - If highly radioactive material has escaped the containment its make clean up very difficult.

I realize it is almost impossible to fire fight something like this with transparency, but I don't think the way information has been managed has been done well - the trouble is when the situation isn't clear its difficult to just honestly say that without pundits sowing worst case scenarios and panic in the public mind - I don't think it is a worst case disaster, but it does look pretty serious. Only time will tell.

Archived