Xbox 2

K.os Theory

If its 3 x 3ghz cpus and beyond x800 graphics power, it's basically going to wipe away any PC that's currently around for gaming if run on HDTV. Runnign that kind of graphics hardware on standard PAL TV's is going to be a complete wasted effort though, so you'll need a TV upgrade too. Quite how they're going to make it affordable is beyond me.

The other big change is the dropping of the hard disk, they seem to be favouring large flash memory cards instead, which should help reliability.

And a camera...stupid idea :)

If its 3 x 3ghz cpus and beyond x800 graphics power, it's basically going to wipe away any PC that's currently around for gaming if run on HDTV. Runnign that kind of graphics hardware on standard PAL TV's is going to be a complete wasted effort though, so you'll need a TV upgrade too. Quite how they're going to make it affordable is beyond me.

The other big change is the dropping of the hard disk, they seem to be favouring large flash memory cards instead, which should help reliability.

All speculation Slim. You would have more chance spotting me in the slimming book section of Ottakers on a Saturday afternoon than the above being true ;)

HDTV "actual" resolution is 1,080 scan lines x 1,920 pixels/line most recent PC GFX cards can quite easily do this resolution and more at present, and using DVI you can plug your PC straight into a plasma anyway - so it's really down to your monitor (/TV) at the end of the day. (HL2 has settings for 1080i - would like to give it a go to see what it's like!!!)

I agree - running the present console type hardware on present PAL TV's is pretty crap - that's one of the reasons I don't bother with consoles, that and PC's are always streets ahead in terms of GFX and (usually - processing) power - if the above specs are correct (and pretty impressive they are), then by the time it arrives in the shops, we'll all possibly be running quad 3-4 Ghz PC's - making it redundant for my own personal needs)

Archived