Happy Heating

crumlin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is heating the house using electricity any cheaper?  My gas bills are just crazy and I don't use it that much.

Without any technical data, I couldn't prove it, but I would have thought that electricity would be far more expensive.

Electric heating is, IIRC, extremely inefficient due to the lack of risidual energy (heat) left in the elements. Plus, of course, as the majority of electricity is produced using Natural Gas, then price rises will be across the board.

Yeah, a mate of mine has practically stopped using his gas for heating at home as he did the math on his small electric blow heater and worked out it was costing him 5p an hour to run, which was a truckload less than the gas.

Is heating the house using electricity any cheaper?  My gas bills are just crazy and I don't use it that much.

Without any technical data, I couldn't prove it, but I would have thought that electricity would be far more expensive.

Electric heating is, IIRC, extremely inefficient due to the lack of risidual energy (heat) left in the elements. Plus, of course, as the majority of electricity is produced using Natural Gas, then price rises will be across the board.

This should help....

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/oft/comparative...hedulemarch.pdf

From

http://www.gov.im/oft/info/heatingschedule.xml

And also:

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/mea/newtariffsaug04.doc

interesting stats lfc, thanks.

Obs & ans, the problem with those two devices thos is that they heat only a small area. I agree that they are probably effificent at keeping a small area or indivisual person warm, and can do so fairly cheaply.

I was aiming more at the electric central heating you can get in some flats. i.e. electric radiators in each room etc. I think (and if you look at the stats above) that would cost a xxxxload of cash.

Plus, of course, as the majority of electricity is produced using Natural Gas, then price rises will be across the board.

Are you talking about on island, or the UK?

I walked past the green house with me dog this afternoon, the big door next to the road was wide open, i don't think there was anything running in there at all...

Now the older building was fair whistling along.

Didn't hang around to long as both the dog and i were soaked.

they be having problems in the new hall , a little bird told me that they have a replacement turbine on order already, as they have already 'goosed' one of them due to them not having the cooling capacity and have to turn the turbines off and let them cool . Each turbine has a fixed number of heat cycles it can go through before needing a replacement ,one cycle is from cold to full working temp to cold and apparently they have wrote off one engine by doing this to often and now needs replacing. even if they 'do' exchange it they will still have overheating problems. :ph34r:

Thats the biggest load of rubbish i have ever read.Get your facts right before you make you start talking crap again.You seem to me that you have no idea about the subject.Your little birdy doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow. :huh:

Certainly not the rubbish he is spouting.Gas turbines cool themselves from the air they draw into the engine,same as a plane engine.They don't have a separate cooling system therefore the cooling capacity statement is rubbish.

Thats the biggest load of rubbish i have ever read.Get your facts right before you make you start talking crap again.

You've had a sheltered life then. Sir yes sir.

Certainly not the rubbish he is spouting.Gas turbines cool themselves from the air they draw into the engine,same as a plane engine.They don't have a separate cooling system therefore the cooling capacity statement is rubbish.

Before you get on your high horse and carry on gobbing off about what he is saying you might take into consideration the fact he is saying "a little bird told me", ie what is commonly accepted as meaning "I've heard this and am not sure if it's true or not but I'll reproduce said comments here for matters of interest".

Or did I read it wrong and it actually said something like "This is a fact and it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Honest guvnor"? :rolleyes:

Gas bill here at chez big bro is usually between £120-180 each time, which is quite an earner considering we don't really bother with the heating and the hot water is one of those turn on the hot tap & wait for a minute whilst it actually makes some hot water type beasties. It's not like it's spending all day simmering away but then I know poo all about plumbing type stuff.

Thats the biggest load of rubbish i have ever read.Get your facts right before you make you start talking crap again.You seem to me that you have no idea about the subject.Your little birdy doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow.  :huh:

The MEA are to buy a new Generator due to one being damaged by overheating

Sure, it's real nice to go into Government offices and see all those ladies in their short skirts and see thru blouses while it's minus three outside and blowing a gale.

which government offices?

none I've been in!

Archived