Alcohol Linked To Cancer

Mutley

The best thing to do is to become a dry country. You would see a reduction in assaults, violent crime, a reduction of cancers and illnesses, longer life expectancies, much lowers costs to the hospital, police, prison service, society would overall be better off

and what would pay for all them lower costs :rolleyes:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing to do is to become a dry country. You would see a reduction in assaults, violent crime, a reduction of cancers and illnesses, longer life expectancies, much lowers costs to the hospital, police, prison service, society would overall be better off

If you had a reduction in people being admitted to a&e as a result of injuries sustained from alcohol, as well as a reduction in cancers that is how you would save money, get rid of alcohol, thats the best thing

You can't have something like prohibition, as in the USA in the 20s. It didn't work then and it won't work now. Besides, it's up to people what they put in their bodies. Just a matter of tackling the reasons why they do and the culture surrounding it.

"Breathing linked to cancer"

Will be the next headline.. because technically breathing allows cancer to grow therefore causing cancer lol.

These sort of posts fail to grasp the true situation. It's probably true that alcohol causes cancer, but my view is 'so what'. We all have to die of something, and if we somehow manage to eliminate cancer, cardiovascular disease, trauma... by modifying the various risk factors, we'll all end up living into our 90s and getting dementia. It's a myth that by avoiding cancer and heart disease we'll save money on healthcare costs - it'll have to be spent on social care instead.

If you had a reduction in people being admitted to a&e as a result of injuries sustained from alcohol, as well as a reduction in cancers that is how you would save money, get rid of alcohol, thats the best thing

Wrong

NHS costs - £100 billion

Smoking makes the government £10 billion

Smoking NHS costs – £2 billion

Smoking Profit - £8 billion

Alcohol makes the Goverment £5.7 billion

Alcohol NHS costs - £2.7 billion

Alcohol Profit - £2 billion

(09/10 figures - all approximate).

So, if everyone gave up smoking and drinking we would be approx £10 billion a year worse off; and take into account that since these two sins could no longer be blamed for various cancers, it would probably suprise everyone who many cases still came up.

I smoke and drink and i am fully aware tha this MUST carry an increased risk to my health; however, I will certainly not stop because some HM Customs puppet fabricates reports and propaganda disperses it to a scare hungry media.

I will also not be shamed into giving up on the false account that other peole's taxes pay for smoking/drinking related illnesses when we all know damn well that we pay our own way and then some.

Wrong

NHS costs - £100 billion

Smoking makes the government £10 billion

Smoking NHS costs – £2 billion

Smoking Profit - £8 billion

Alcohol makes the Goverment £5.7 billion

Alcohol NHS costs - £2.7 billion

Alcohol Profit - £2 billion

(09/10 figures - all approximate).

So, if everyone gave up smoking and drinking we would be approx £10 billion a year worse off; and take into account that since these two sins could no longer be blamed for various cancers, it would probably suprise everyone who many cases still came up.

I smoke and drink and i am fully aware tha this MUST carry an increased risk to my health; however, I will certainly not stop because some HM Customs puppet fabricates reports and propaganda disperses it to a scare hungry media.

I will also not be shamed into giving up on the false account that other peole's taxes pay for smoking/drinking related illnesses when we all know damn well that we pay our own way and then some.

But it's not just the NHS costs, these figures don't show any other government expenses relating to excessive consumption of alcohol, what about policing, lost working hours, prison services, cleaning up town and city centres etc.

But it's not just the NHS costs, these figures don't show any other government expenses relating to excessive consumption of alcohol, what about policing, lost working hours, prison services, cleaning up town and city centres etc.

Ah, but you are now moving outside the discussion, you are now talking about crime, this is about health.

People drop litter and break things when sober too you know.

Excessive anything can be bad, and it all depends on the person. What we are discussing here is the Government's two faced approach to things they tax heavily for income.

Ah, but you are now moving outside the discussion, you are now talking about crime, this is about health.

Excessive anything can be bad, and it all depends on the person. What we are discussing here is the Government's two faced approach to things they tax heavily for income.

My post was in response to the quoted figures which seem to claim that that the NHS expenditure is more than covered by the income from alcohol sales, in reality you would have to contra the other costs I have mentioned against the gross income.

Let me turn it around, if you take away all the other expenses I have mentioned how much of the 5.7 billion would be left for alcohol related NHS care.

So that is smoking, drinking and driving all linked to cancer and the 3 biggest taxable items the government gets income from.

Sounds like an excuse to raise taxes to me as well; scamming twunts.

The problem with these 'surveys' is that all they do is analyse data looking for common or potential contributory factors. If everyone who has had cancer was asked 'Have you ever drank during your life' then I'm guessing that 80% of the population will admit to drinking at some point during their lives as that is how accessible alcohol is in our society. Once virtually everyone has said 'yes' then alcohol as a contributing factor becomes virtually self fulfilling. I'm sure that there is a link but the fact that so many people regularly have a drink or two I'm sure magnifies the percieved risk.

My post was in response to the quoted figures which seem to claim that that the NHS expenditure is more than covered by the income from alcohol sales, in reality you would have to contra the other costs I have mentioned against the gross income.

Let me turn it around, if you take away all the other expenses I have mentioned how much of the 5.7 billion would be left for alcohol related NHS care.

Again, you are talking about crime. I am talking about health issues directly caused by tobacco/alcohol and THAT cost on the NHS, not the police or the councils.

Anyway, plane in the morning toodle pip!

Wow - there'd be lots more people drawing unemployment benefits!

Archived