The Burning Of The Koran

La_Dolce_Vita

Surely what is written IN the Qur'an should be what is important to them, not a copy of the book itself? Burning a book that is in any case only “one of n” (where n is exceeding large) is utterly immaterial to anything, it doesn't in any way affect what is written in the Qur'an so how can the destruction of a few copies be of any significance?

Tell me what your honest reaction would be if someone pooed in your garden and then wiped their arse in front of you with Matthew, Chapters 5, Verses 14-19. And no, I don't know if that's a real section of the book. Decency laws aside, would you not be somewhat morally outraged?

Would it matter if you were morally outraged? Would it be right for you to be violent against the person?

No matter what the significance is to other people, it is just a book. And shouldn't be accorded any greater significance when considering such matters.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely what is written IN the Qur'an should be what is important to them, not a copy of the book itself? Burning a book that is in any case only “one of n” (where n is exceeding large) is utterly immaterial to anything, it doesn't in any way affect what is written in the Qur'an so how can the destruction of a few copies be of any significance?

Tell me what your honest reaction would be if someone pooed in your garden and then wiped their arse in front of you with Matthew, Chapters 5, Verses 14-19. And no, I don't know if that's a real section of the book. Decency laws aside, would you not be somewhat morally outraged?

I would, but not because what they used to wipe themselves with, because they had used my garden as a toilet.

For us The Bible is a collection of messages along with a history of The Lords people. It doesn't matter if it's in conventional paper format, microfilm, microfiche, audio files, whatever. The medium is immaterial. What people do to any media that The Bible is recorded on is immaterial. What matters is if people try to twist what is written and taught. THAT is what matters.

Ahh Mathew 5 14-19

You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.

Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.

Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.

Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven

ETA - I have no idea what that means.

Hi Scarbunny,

I remember when I first started reading the Bible and at first I found it hard to read and didn't understand. But in time you get used to reading it and understanding it. The Gospel of John is a good book to start with.

All the best

Ahh Mathew 5 14-19

You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.

Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.

Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.

Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven

ETA - I have no idea what that means.

Hi Scarbunny,

I remember when I first started reading the Bible and at first I found it hard to read and didn't understand. But in time you get used to reading it and understanding it. The Gospel of John is a good book to start with.

All the best

Hi Keigmeister

Thanks for the support, so far I'm loving the story, I especially like how the author puts this "God" character in such a good light, I mean how you paint some one who commits genocide on a regular basis as some one to be worshipped is a little beyond my comprehension at the minute. By my count God kills 2,476,633 though out the story, not counting women and children or his most epic acts like the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the firstborn Egyptian children ect.

Compared to Satan's 10, all be it with Gods permission as part of a bet. Now I'm all for routeing for the bad guy, and stories that are written from the perspective of the killer, but even to me this seems extreme.

Hi Keigmeister

Thanks for the support, so far I'm loving the story, I especially like how the author puts this "God" character in such a good light, I mean how you paint some one who commits genocide on a regular basis as some one to be worshipped is a little beyond my comprehension at the minute. By my count God kills 2,476,633 though out the story, not counting women and children or his most epic acts like the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the firstborn Egyptian children ect.

Compared to Satan's 10, all be it with Gods permission as part of a bet. Now I'm all for routeing for the bad guy, and stories that are written from the perspective of the killer, but even to me this seems extreme.

Its okay, but the second half's a bit like an old 'Dallas' plot. He impregnates a virgin and ends up with a Jewish son. Unfortunately, the son grows up and starts going around telling everyone to love one another. Naturally, he calls in some hitmen from Rome (probably an early version of the mafia) and, not only do they sort it out, they also manage to make a bunch of Jews the fall guys!

P.S. Hope I haven't spoiled it for you?

Would it matter if you were morally outraged?

Only to me, and that would be my problem

Would it be right for you to be violent against the person?

Absolutely not.

No matter what the significance is to other people, it is just a book. And shouldn't be accorded any greater significance when considering such matters.

I totally agree. What matters is the content of the book.

Generally speaking the burning of books represents an attempt at the destruction of an idea, and in general terms that is wrong. But there is a point where it is NOT wrong, and that is when the idea being promulgated is obscene or will incite acts of inhumanity and genocide (in its widest meaning).

Generally speaking the burning of books represents an attempt at the destruction of an idea, and in general terms that is wrong. But there is a point where it is NOT wrong, and that is when the idea being promulgated is obscene or will incite acts of inhumanity and genocide (in its widest meaning).

You've just described the content of your bible perfectly.

You have so much to learn.

You have so much to learn.

Really?

The Bible has "incited acts of inhumanity and genocide", and the stories within even celebrate these acts.

Archived