Rude Awakening...

Amadeus

At the risk of sounding like a corporate bobby, can I just comment on some of the posts as to the integrity of the crime figures. As most of you know, I was a divisional commander for 2 1/2 years. I can assure you, all the neighbourhood bosses are under a lot of scrutiny regarding accuracy of recording. The figures are as sight as they ever have been, and rest assured the serious stuff like burglary get even more scrutiny because of the profound effect they have on peoples lives.

I've been the victim of an attempted burglery once, it wasn't nice but also ended well. Other than that, haven't had any friends of family suffer at all that I can remember and I think the Island is still a safe place to live compared to other, particularly ubran, areas of the British Isles. Glad it worked out ok for you Am.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there performance related pay in the police force?I often wonder because crime figures are often trotted out and crime always seems to be going down according to the statistics released.

A pretty Shocking experience for Amadeus, but some excellent work by Douglas Neighbourhood has resulted in one person charged, and appearance at court this morning.

Amadeus is absolutely spot on when he says there isn't much he can discuss about this just now. Basically, the case cannot be discussed until after the matter is resluted at court. Accordingly, to protect the integrity of the legal process, please be careful as to what you post.

At the risk of sounding like a corporate bobby, can I just comment on some of the posts as to the integrity of the crime figures. As most of you know, I was a divisional commander for 2 1/2 years. I can assure you, all the neighbourhood bosses are under a lot of scrutiny regarding accuracy of recording. The figures are as sight as they ever have been, and rest assured the serious stuff like burglary get even more scrutiny because of the profound effect they have on peoples lives.

The figures are as sight shight as they ever have been :lol:

Derek

A pretty Shocking experience for Amadeus, but some excellent work by Douglas Neighbourhood has resulted in one person charged, and appearance at court this morning.

Amadeus is absolutely spot on when he says there isn't much he can discuss about this just now. Basically, the case cannot be discussed until after the matter is resluted at court. Accordingly, to protect the integrity of the legal process, please be careful as to what you post.

Derek

Good post Derek and it's great for the forum that one of our policemen can come on the site and offer such honest and open comment. This thread has shown Manx Forums at its best and there has been a great deal of genuine sympathy for the ordeal of one of our members. It's also nice that although the police are criticised from time to time, that they have been given such credit for the swift and professional way in which they did their job. Well done to everyone and it's nice to see a different side to the forum. Now, back to the bitterness and spleen... !

Thanks for that - and that shoudl have read the figures are as RIGHT as they have ever been!

As for performance related pay - what a brilliant idea! Seriously though, no we don't get PRP, and I for one wouldn't want to see that. As yuo will know, police pay and conditions are under review at the moment. There are two things that the police are paid over and above their salary and (for sergeants and below) overtime. These are Competency Related Threshold Payments (when you have been at the top of your pay scale for the rank for a year and have demonstrated that you have competency in that rank. Mine is about £90 per month, taxable and pensionable. The second one is special priority payments. These are a bit more complex and fit into a number of roles, like firearms officers and on-call responsibilites, as well as 24/7 committed officers. Sums vary dependent on the role. Again under review. There is a now very old legacy of rent/ housing allowance, which very few officers recieve as it was phased out in 1994.

Unfortunately, each pay review that the police gets tends to make things more complex than they were before the review! Anyway, a bit off thread, but someone did ask!

Derek

Police don't get paid for arrests etc but like Derek said certain officers who have special skills (Firearms officers Family liason etc) do get paid a sum of money per year.

As for Amadeus glad you are safe and hopefully the courts give the person responsible a proper sentence. Thankfully on the Isle of Man Burglaries in houses are very rare and even rarer when people are actually in their homes

There is a now very old legacy of rent/ housing allowance, which very few officers recieve as it was phased out in 1994.

Derek

do you still get a 'boot allowance' Derek ?

Alas no, but the footwear side of things is an ongoing debate as to whether the job should provide it, or at least have an approved list for operational footwear. not much change out of a hundred quid these days for a decent pair of waterproof patrol boots.

I've now been serving for 21 years, and it is remarkable the changes that have taken place. We even used to have prescription charges refunded back in the early nineties. I think by the time I have retired, the framework of the job will have changed beyond all recognition to what it was back in 1990.

Alas no, but the footwear side of things is an ongoing debate as to whether the job should provide it, not much change out of a hundred quid these days for a decent pair of waterproof patrol boots.

Why would a modern day policeperson need such footwear as standard; if you are not sat at a desk, you are sat in a mobile. I'll bet you even responded to the OP's call in a car

Alas no, but the footwear side of things is an ongoing debate as to whether the job should provide it, not much change out of a hundred quid these days for a decent pair of waterproof patrol boots.

Why would a modern day policeperson need such footwear as standard; if you are not sat at a desk, you are sat in a mobile. I'll bet you even responded to the OP's call in a car

I bet they sometimes have to get out of the car in the p155ing rain to attend to incidents and if they only had carpet slippers on their toes would get a bit damp :lol:

I've seen lots of foot patrols around Douglas at the weekends - you need to get out a bit more.

Most coppers like decent footwear with protected soles and reinforced toecaps. This is due to spending 10-12 hours a day in them, walking around houses with drug users needles on the floor, other places where nails can be sticking out of the ground, customers who quite like to stamp on their feet etc. The Police frequently have to walk through fields, muddy paths etc to get to properties/crime scenes. Added to the fact that they do have to stand outside in the pouring rain/hail/snow at times. Having a waterproof set of shoes is quite nice then!

I know that the Police did respond to the OP in vehicles (quickest way to get there, even at 4am), but some of them then spent the next 15-20 minutes on foot around the roads/lanes in the area to catch the suspect.

Most of the coppers who attended the OP's incident had spent the previous 5 hours on foot around the clubs in Douglas.

Archived