Rude Awakening...

Amadeus

Police often take the lump sum as due to the nature of the job they can sometimes don't live that long after retirement.

What 'nature of the job' means they don't live long after retirement?

Its always been said its the shifts, active-stressfull work (I know many other jobs have these factors too). There have been several studies, have a google. Not saying that these studies reflect all police leaving (hence my sometimes) but I guess those leaving weigh up on balance if they would benefit from a higher pension or a lower one with an initial lump sum, and I guess as its their money its their call?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess as its their OUR money its their call?

Police pay 11% (rising possibly soon to 14%) out of their wages into their pensions. More than any other public scheme, and most private I would think. Yes the govt also contributes to this, but pretty sure this is the same for all govt pension schemes. I know this is the same in the private sector too, in that the employer puts money in.

Police often take the lump sum as due to the nature of the job they can sometimes don't live that long after retirement.

What 'nature of the job' means they don't live long after retirement?

Its always been said its the shifts, active-stressfull work (I know many other jobs have these factors too). There have been several studies, have a google. Not saying that these studies reflect all police leaving (hence my sometimes) but I guess those leaving weigh up on balance if they would benefit from a higher pension or a lower one with an initial lump sum, and I guess as its their money its their call?

I do believe that in a way - I've worked night shifts for way too long in the past and it does affect your health & well being. In fact, one of the reasons I got off nights & weird shifts was the long term health implications that carries. Hard to say if it really takes years off your life, but it's probably not helping either.

Police pay 11% (rising possibly soon to 14%) out of their wages into their pensions. More than any other public scheme, and most private I would think. Yes the govt also contributes to this, but this is the same for many pension schemes.

The point being that their wages (and, therefore, pensions) are paid out of taxpayers contributions.

Police pay 11% (rising possibly soon to 14%) out of their wages into their pensions. More than any other public scheme, and most private I would think. Yes the govt also contributes to this, but this is the same for many pension schemes.

The point being that their wages (and, therefore, pensions) are paid out of taxpayers contributions.

I know where you are coming from but its a govt dept, there are 1000's of workers who are paid out of taxes, and like I said the police pay more than any others for what they get back.

the reason for some taking a lump sum part of their pension pot may have been that due to in the past being shifted from place to place and living in Police stations or Police houses around the Island that many did not buy their own houses early on, and may have taken a lump sum to clear their mortgage when they retired (this from personal experience)

Just to enlighten the youngsters around here, years ago when some of the force joined up it was not possible for officers to 'commute' to where they were posted, also officers had to get the approval of the chief constable for their intended spouse, or even had to have permission from their sergeant or inspector to leave the 'manor' when off duty and had to tell them what time they would be back on the patch.

Village bobby's wives were also expected to 'mind the shop' whilst hubby was out on the beat or on patrol around the wider area or when they had to do a shift in the nearest town. There was not just a phone box outside the front door !.

Awful experience, Amadeus, but I am glad you are OK and the filthy perp is banged to rights. I wonder how he justified in his own head, as he surely must have, entering someone else's property? Good to see the police response both to the incident and on here; kind of makes our little society whole again really.

Archived