Ginger Beer Plant

hypersniper

I agree, however Wikipedia.........

Ginger Beer Plant

Ginger beer plant (GBP) is not what is usually considered a plant, but a composite organism consisting of a fungus, the yeast Saccharomyces florentinus (formerly Saccharomyces pyriformis) and the bacterium Lactobacillus hilgardii (formerly Brevibacterium vermiforme),[5][6] which form a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). It forms a gelatinous substance that allows it to be easily transferred from one fermenting substrate to the next, much like kefir grains, kombucha, and tibicos.[7]

The GBP was first described by Harry Marshall Ward in 1892, from samples he received in 1887.[6][8][9][10] Original ginger beer is made by leaving water, sugar, ginger, and GBP to ferment. GBP may be obtained from several commercial sources or from yeast banks.[11] Much of the "ginger beer plant" obtainable from commercial sources is not the true GBP as described here, but instead is yeast alone. This is not legally false advertising because there is no regulation defining GBP.

Hi there

Does anybody here maintain a Ginger Beer Plant that I could take a "cutting" of?

No but you could start one.

1 teaspoon dried yeast

2 teaspoons dried ginger

4 teaspoon sugar

pint cold water

place in jar and stir

feed every day with 2 teaspoons dried ginger and 4 teaspoons sugar then stir

After one week it is ready to use to make ginger beer

2 lbs sugar

2 pints boiling water

juice of 4 lemons

add strained 'ginger beer plant'

Or you can halve the 'plant' and use the remained half to create a new plant.

I'm aware I could just use a dried yeast culture. But I'm after what is described in the Wikipedia article - a specific type of yeast and bacteria colony. Many people used to keep one, but I guess it's quite rare these days.

my Mum used to have one but I think it got lost/spilt/binned when we moved house in 1960 :lol:

Ginger Beer Plant

...GBP may be obtained from several commercial sources or from yeast banks.

This gives me a great idea, I think I've already got a multitude of different varieties of yeast growing at home. I could open my own Yeast Bank, after all, I am a fungi to be with :lol:

I'm aware I could just use a dried yeast culture. But I'm after what is described in the Wikipedia article - a specific type of yeast and bacteria colony. Many people used to keep one, but I guess it's quite rare these days.

my Mum used to have one but I think it got lost/spilt/binned when we moved house in 1960 :lol:

When I was at school a friend from Laxey offered me a ginger beer plant. I was most surprised when she turned up with a jam jar full of beige 'mush'

Archived