Property Wanted To Rent - Dog Friendly

Marc & Tricia

Dear all,

My wife and I will be relocating to the Island soon, however I will be there from around mid-end August whilst my wife may not be there until mid December.

She cannot relocate until our very elderly Golden Retriever either dies or until his rabies jab / pet passport is ready (mid December) - and therein lies the problem.

Many (all?) rental properties state no pets which I understand but nevertheless we will need a house (i.e. no apartments / flats) with at least some garden (however small it is) for our beloved old boy.

We would be looking to rent for probably no less than 6 months but maybe up to 12 months just until we have found/purchased a property.

Another possible problem (never easy is it) is that I will certainly need somewhere furnished or part furnished as our own furniture won't be shipped until my wife relocates at the earliest.

Any help / advice / ideas / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards

Marc.

You do not say where you are coming from. I recall you posted two conflicting addresses, one suggested that you were in an English Village and the other said France. I also seem to recall you first posted 3 months or so ago.

No passports or rabies jabs needed if coming to IOM from UK, Ireland or CI

If from France it will take at least 31 to 33 weeks from date of jab,

day 1 jab

+ month blood test to see if has developed rabies anti bodies

+ 2 weeks for test and certificate (if negative the start again and if dog old may be negative)

+ 6 months before you can travel to UK by an approved route

NB between 24 and 48 hours before embarkation from France you will need to have the dog treated by a vet for fleas and ticks, with approved treatments, you cannot self administer, and complete the pet passport. I am surprised that if you are English and have lived in France, you have not done this before for visits and kept it in force.

Hi

Coming from France and well aware of the regs which is why my wife / dog won't be in a position to relocate until mid December.

The rules are to be relaxed soon but not before December so still have to comply with the rules as they are.

Didn't expect to be moving so soon and never put the burden of travel on our dog as he doesn't travel very well so never kept up his pet passport.

In hindsight - a wonderful thing.......

C'est la vie

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like it's too late for you to do the six-month at-home quarantine in France. You can bring him with you and he can do the quarantine in the UK but that might be too stressful for him? You basically have to board him in an approved kennel for the six months time but you can visit him daily.

Archived