Dr Tells Cameron & Clegg To Get Out!

j2bad

My PC doesn't play the video.

If its the same as this one, then the surgeon isn't shouting at Cameron and Clegg, but at the film crews for not following NHS protocol on dress.

Cameron and Clegg had removed ties and rolled up their sleeves - as is required by NHS guidelines for workers on a ward.

The film crew hadn't - the surgeon saw it as a breech of protocols and veremently complained.

He's in his rights - its his ward, and his patients who are being put at risk - though I do suspect he was more angry about the way his ward was being used for news management than the actual risks themselves, but that's just my speculation who's to really know! But the film crews broke the rules and the spin doctors didn't think the doctors would notice. They were wrong!

Trust an orthopod to steam in and have a go - we're not known for our tact and sensitivity.

All of the UK surgeons I've talked to about the 'bare below the elbows' rule think it's ridiculous. There's no evidence to show that adopting the rule improves outcomes, and as far as I'm aware there's no evidence to suggest that wearing a watch causes infections. The surgeon that had a go at Cameron and his crew was annoyed more that he was made to dress like that for no good reason, rather than concerned that the film crew were about to infect his patients. When visitors come in they don't have to disrobe and scrub up.

Dave and Nick like to make a show of going round hospitals in their shirt sleeves - next time perhaps they'll get the journos and film crew to do the same, especially on an orthopaedic ward.

Bit of a D.H. if you ask me. The patient in the adjacent didn't have his sleeves rolled up and i have never been asked to do the same when visiting hospital. I would have thought Dr's do this to enable them to fully wash their hands and arms?!

Consultants are often thought to suffer from big-man syndrome.

edit - no offence meant to wrighty above who appears to be in the same game ;-)

Bit of a D.H. if you ask me. The patient in the adjacent didn't have his sleeves rolled up and i have never been asked to do the same when visiting hospital. I would have thought Dr's do this to enable them to fully wash their hands and arms?!

Consultants are often thought to suffer from big-man syndrome.

edit - no offence meant to wrighty above who appears to be in the same game ;-)

It's NHS policy to be 'bare below the elbows'. Consultants don't like it because they're used to the pinstripe suit, shirt, cufflinks and silk tie 'uniform' - particularly surgeons - and they also don't like being told what to do without good reason (or indeed at all!)

We haven't adopted the policy on the Isle of Man - and as far as I know there are no plans to do so. Personally I wouldn't mind as I quite like wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but there are plenty of my colleagues I suspect wouldn't.

And as for consultant big man syndrome...

Bloke dies and goes to heaven. St Peter introduces him to all his favourite dead celebrities and gets him settled in. He asks "who's that bloke over there wandering about in the white coat", St Peter says "That's god. He thinks he's a consultant"

I quite like wearing jeans and a T-shirt...

The Register: NHS trust issues nurse jub flash alert

"...the new policy was formulated following customer complaints, although the idea of someone whining about the sight of a buxom, denim-miniskirted nurse adminstering a foamy bed bath does make you wonder quite what ails the good burghers of Hertfordshire."

Trust an orthopod to steam in and have a go - we're not known for our tact and sensitivity.

Ha! I'll second that wrighty! I had a very rude letter from one @ Nobles a few years ago. It was totally unwarranted, especially as I've never ever met him but I have since found out he has 'previous' for that sort of thing.

Just wondered......has the one with a name that sounds like a colour retired yet?

Ha! I'll second that wrighty! I had a very rude letter from one @ Nobles a few years ago. It was totally unwarranted, especially as I've never ever met him but I have since found out he has 'previous' for that sort of thing.

Just wondered......has the one with a name that sounds like a colour retired yet?

Last year. No 'colourful' characters in orthopaedics any more, except for a very nice man whose surname sounds like a precious metal.

David Nunn's outburst in front of David Cameron and Nick Clegg was heroic – but where is he now, asks Max Pemberton.

The video of David Nunn, the consultant orthopaedic surgeon who raged at David Cameron, Nick Clegg and their entourage during a walkabout in Guy's Hospital a few weeks ago, was an instant internet hit, reported in the national press and replayed on the evening news. Here was one man standing up to the might of government – a lone, heroic voice refusing to kowtow to the pressures of a Downing Street photo-call if it meant risking his patient's welfare.

Coming, as it did, on the very day that the Government announced its humiliating climbdown over Andrew Lansley's NHS reforms, the incident seemed to embody the anger and frustration that many of us in the health service felt towards a government we saw as intent on using the NHS for political point-scoring. In my staffroom, and many others, Nunn became an instant hero.

The actual incident had a seemingly innocuous cause: while Cameron and Clegg had their shirtsleeves rolled up, and had washed their hands in accordance with the hospital's infection control policy, the film crew at the bottom of the bed had not. Nunn stormed over to the media huddle and, pointing to his own short shirtsleeves, raged: "Why is it we're all told to walk around like this and these people aren't?" before adding: "I'm not having it – now out."

You could see the Mori polls flicker briefly behind Cameron's eyes, before he smiled sweetly and ushered out the camera crew. The incident was seen as a victory for the man on the street over the slick No 10 machine – until news broke yesterday that Nunn is now mysteriously not at work. The press department at Guy's and St Thomas's NHS Foundation Trust has insisted that he is on leave for an undisclosed period, not suspended, but refuses to comment further.

The trust has issued warnings to its staff not to talk to any members of the press about the matter, which in itself seems a peculiar intervention. However, several friends who work in orthopaedics have privately expressed concern that Guy's Hospital was deeply angered by Nunn's actions, and are trying to oust him from his job. They are convinced that he has been suspended in all but name.

Last year. No 'colourful' characters in orthopaedics any more, except for a very nice man whose surname sounds like a precious metal.

Quite like the bloke whose name is like a part of a tree.

Archived