New Uk Nuclear Plant Sites Named

Terse

BBC NEWS

Ministers have announced plans for the next generation of UK nuclear plants.

The government confirmed a list of eight sites deemed suitable for new power stations by 2025, all of which are adjacent to existing nuclear sites.

The sites are: Bradwell, Essex; Hartlepool; Heysham Lancashire; Hinkley Point, Somerset; Oldbury, Gloucestershire; Sellafield, Cumbria; Sizewell, Suffolk; and Wylfa, Anglesey.

Much to my amazement, considering how incredibly safe they are, there aren't any in London!

Much to my amazement, considering how incredibly safe they are, there aren't any in London!

I like the sarcasm ta.

I suppose it makes sense in a way, wouldnt want one going pop, in a high density area, like london and its suburbs, i suppose, they are not worried about a few whippit worriers.

It's about time someone took a sensible approach to nuclear power.

Unfortunately we've under utilised this resource and have instead gone for an extremely cost prohibitive green option in windpower and solar electric.

Perhaps we can start exporting it to France.

So basically they are going to be sited where ones exist already. No real change except that newer ones will hopefully be safer.

It will be interesting to see who has made the best decision UK or Germany. For sure existing forms of 'renewable' energy cannot sustain the European economies without non-renewable forms of energy. Will the UK be exporting nuclear generated power to Germany or will Germany be exporting wind and solar power to the UK?

I'll bet that Germany will be importing power from France after the shutdown. I like the idea of that and I think the french will too.

France don't need our nuclear mushtie, they've got enough and more is planned apparently.

Germany has apparantly dismissed Nuclear Power after the Japanese disaster.The tsunami caused the meltdown and unless (with apologies to Rodney Marsh) Newcastle appear in the Champions League in Munich (the "Toon Army") then this will turn out to be an expensive mistake.The French after 150 years will have the upper hand - "vive La France !"

So it works out at bout10 to 14 billion plant.

Why didnt we get a mini nuke plant for our 140 million then, even 10% production capacity of an english station would of done us..

Quite, even a two per cent capacity of a station would suffice.Imagine IOM Friends Of The Earths reaction though...that telephone box in Port Erin where they hold their meetings would be fit to explode !!

BBC NEWS

The government confirmed a list of eight sites deemed suitable for new power stations by 2025, all of which are adjacent to existing nuclear sites.

The sites are: Bradwell, Essex; Hartlepool; Heysham Lancashire; Hinkley Point, Somerset; Oldbury, Gloucestershire; Sellafield, Cumbria; Sizewell, Suffolk; and Wylfa, Anglesey.

Bradwell (Which closed in 2002 but may now be redeveloped) is very close to London possibly less than 50 miles. I am in Chelmsford 37 miles from Central London and Bradwell in the Borough of Maldon is another 12 miles further out from me depending how you take your distances. And if you take Greater London then Bradwell is possibly only 40 miles or so from London's eastern outskirts. (The edge of Mayor Boris Johnson territory)

How close do you want it to be?

Bradwell is very close to other high density population areas including Colchester - a major military base now - and all about that area there are tourism and leisure facilities such as yachting all right bang on Bradwell's perimeter which is only 1.50 miles out on the marshes on the River Blackwater estuary.

Other places in range are Harwich, Felixstowe etc....all major transport hubs/ports going 24/7 with ferries and containerships.

Bradwell has a heavily populated immediate hinterland.

Certainly it is not isolated. In the immediate area is the Royal Burnham Yacht Club on the River Crouch and the whole River Blackwater-Crouch area is home to loads of yachts and sailing/regattas.....being so close to London!

To all intents and purposes it is practically almost within the environs of London and its immediate area is considered to be London commuter land/London overspill. (Hence the house prices)

Bradwell is also a world attraction for St Peter's on the Wall at Bradwell Juxta Mare a spit from Bradwell power station and which is a chapel allegedly built by St Peter.....Pilgrims go there from all over the world.

I was around there (the power station area) today and in total have lived within a short distance of Bradwell a total of about 30 years. As have many millions of others.

Bradwell is on sound geological ground and took cooling water from the North Sea.

When Bradwell was running you could hear the hum for miles on a calm day.

Some years ago some men stole those plutonium or whatever it is "rod things" you use to make these contraptions go and just drove off with them in a lorry. Apparently they thought they were just scrap metal and were looking to flog the load to the nearest junk yard!

BBC NEWS

Bradwell (Which closed in 2002 but may now be redeveloped) is very close to London possibly less than 50 miles. I am in Chelmsford 37 miles from Central London and Bradwell in the Borough of Maldon is another 12 miles further out from me depending how you take your distances. And if you take Greater London then Bradwell is possibly only 40 miles or so from London's eastern outskirts. (The edge of Mayor Boris Johnson territory)

Bradwell is very close to other high density population areas including Colchester - a major military base now - and all about that area there are tourism and leisure facilities such as yachting all right bang on Bradwell's perimeter which is only 1.50 miles out on the marshes on the River Blackwater estuary.

Other places in range are Harwich, Felixstowe etc....all major transport hubs/ports going 24/7 with ferries and containerships.

Certainly it is not isolated. In the immediate area is the Royal Burnham Yacht Club on the River Crouch and the whole River Blackwater-Crouch area is home to loads of yachts and sailing/regattas.....being so close to London!

To all intents and purposes it is practically almost within the environs of London and its immediate area is considered to be London commuter land/London overspill. (Hence the house prices)

Bradwell is also a world attraction for St Peter's on the Wall at Bradwell Juxta Mare a spit from Bradwell power station and which is a chapel allegedly built by St Peter.....Pilgrims go there from all over the world.

I was around there (the power station area) today and in total have lived within a short distance of Bradwell a total of about 30 years. As have many millions of others.

Bradwell is on sound geological ground and took cooling water from the North Sea.

Some years ago some men stole those plutonium or whatever it is "rod things" you use to make these contraptions go and just drove off with them in a lorry. Apparently they thought they were just scrap metal and were looking to flog the load to the nearest junk yard!

Are you sure that actually happened? - or did you just dream about it? - I`d like to think they wouldn`t just leave them lying around,doesn`t bode very well.

BBC NEWS

Are you sure that actually happened? - or did you just dream about it? - I`d like to think they wouldn`t just leave them lying around,doesn`t bode very well.

Bradwell opened in 1957 to power the towns of Chelmsford, Colchester and the County Borough (Now Unitary Authority) of Southend on Sea which I think is now about the same size as Merseyside so you can see that Bradwell is in an area of high population)....

In 1966 Harold Sneath stole 20 natural uranium rods....I believe that spent Uranium is withdrawn after a while and as we have seen is used to tip anti-armour munitions...Hence "Gulf Syndrome"....

The theft was only discovered when the lorry carrying the rods was stopped by Police for a moving traffic offence....

Neither the thief nor the driver a Dennis Hadley had any idea of the seriousness of what they had done to either themselves of the public.....

The rods were being taken to a scrapyard to be sold!!!!!

I was still at school at the time but as we were taught Civics and British Constitution, and it was the era of CND, were were alert to such developments.

Bradwell looms across our section of the Essex Marshes like two giant Oxo cubes.

Archived