Tau Day's News

Terse

LINK

"What's amazing is the 'conversion experience': people find themselves almost violently angry at pi. They feel like they've been lied to their whole lives, so it's amazing how many people express their displeasure with pi in the strongest possible terms - often involving profanity."

Mathematicians, eh? So passionate! ;)

I agree with the Tau side...... but certainly not passionately.

More of a passing, "Oh, what a good idea".

But I suspect VinnieK has some strong views...

Seriously, I have a lot of respect for Mathamaticians.

I can see the logic in changing it - not only do you get the circumference of a circle better, but the periodicity of trig functions as well.

Downside for me would be that the area of the circle formula would be less elegant, but worst of all is that it would mess up Euler's equation which relates the five fundamental numbers in maths (0,1,e,i,pi) in one simple equation. You could do it with Tau, but I think it's better with pi.

I can see the logic in changing it - not only do you get the circumference of a circle better, but the periodicity of trig functions as well.

Downside for me would be that the area of the circle formula would be less elegant, but worst of all is that it would mess up Euler's equation which relates the five fundamental numbers in maths (0,1,e,i,pi) in one simple equation. You could do it with Tau, but I think it's better with pi.

Almost exactly what I thought.... :blink:

But I suspect VinnieK has some strong views...

I'm actually with Matt Bawden on this matter, though you're kind of right: I do have strong views, just not on the actual topic of discussion.

Namely: It's telling that some filthy physicist is the protagonist in all of this (as is the guy behind Pi day) - I've always thought that Pi day celebrations, and now this tau nonsense, had something of the foetid stink of Red Dwarf Marathons and Dr Who conventions about them, the same ghastly smell of despair and lonliness that hangs thick in the air of the squalid laboratories belonging to grubby atom fiddling loons.

So, in summary, if you see a physicist and he doesn't look suitably ashamed, burn him or her.

heh, apologies to any physicists: I'm just playing up my ranting maniac persona and the low key disregard physicists and mathmos sometimes have for each other.

Archived