Bye Bye Notw

Mutley

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody really expect this?

http://en.wikipedia....nday_newspapers

They're the top selling Sunday paper.

Maybe there's a lot more of this to come out yet so they're pre-emptively shutting down.

Murdoch obviously wants BSkyB more than he needs the NOTW so damage limitation exercise is the order of the day.

Good riddance - probably the best business decision that could be made, cutting off that gangranous puss filled NOtW, to protect the rest of the empire.

I think there is still more to come though from the sounds of things - maybe other papers too.

Agree with AT, particularly as the prime 'journalist' was essentially freelance. There is no way that it is only the NOTW or News International for that matter, mixed up in phone hacking / paying police etc.

I bet they are all collectively shitting it. NI is massive and will survive this, but lesser organisations may not.

Even though there will be plenty of cynicism, and rightyl so as a 7 day Sun operation will be the Pheonix from the flames, it is still a big call from the Murdoch empire.

NoTW is dead. Long live the Sunday Sun which will no doubt rear it's ugly head as soon as things quieten down a bit.

Exactly. Bit annoying that they can kill of a historic title for expediency. It is not the title but what it has become and that must be down to the proprietor.

Hello

Would be great if the same companies and charities decided to pull the plug on the Sun and the Times and ceased advertising with the buggers also.

Seems to me it is business decision and nowt to do with the scandal, me thinks they wanted rid of the Sunday Rag anyway and replace it with their other rag seven days a week. Having said that I can not understand why Becky Wade has not been given the heave ho makes me wonder if they are all in bed together - allegedly - so to speak :hug: .

I guess the Sky deal is more important to the Murdicks than the minions whom work at Wapping.

Best of Luck

Best guess - they've closed it in the hope that its absence will separate the rest of the company from the NoTW when the shit really hits the fan - they must know what's coming down the pipe and this move seems to indicate they're terrified of the effects it might have.

Same for the appalling Rebekah. I'd bet Murdoch is saving her for the day when the clamour for a high-profile sacking gets too loud to ignore, and then he'll chuck her overboard along with the dreadful newspaper.

Its a cynical exercise designed to save the bid for BSkyB.

The newspaper, for all the faults it developed under the ownership of the Murdoch empire, has a long history that shouldn't be cast aside so contemptuously and for such a miserable intention. Many years ago, although it always fed off scandal, the NoW was a reasonably respected paper. It is News International's greed that has brought about the desperate desire to invade people's privacy in the need to seel papers and, quite simply, they should be held - collectively - responsible.

It would be just rewards and obviously hilarious if his takeover of BSkyB was blocked. Obviously his mates in Govt won't allow that to happen and tabloid TV will become even more so.

If he does get Sky I wonder how many subscribers will jump to Freesat/Freeview/Virgin/a.n.other

As they have printed double the amount of the last paper in anticipation of bumper sales, wouldn't it be amusing if no one bought one!

Fancy buying the last one? on the off chance its worth something in 100 years?

nah!

I'd like to think that people would boycott it but then again, their readership can't really be that smart so I'm sure there will be a run on them and a shitload of eBay listings a day or two aferwards... The staff have already been given the go ahead to bag fixtures and fittings etc.

Archived