Amy Winehouse Found Dead

slinkydevil

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't understand all this flocking to lay flowers/vodka bottles/candles/toys and/or vigils/rideouts/whatevers for someone you don't know. Similarly buying old hits because someone's died.

It seems to be a cross between the reality TV effect and the Flashmob mentality.

Her father seems somewhat taken with the limelight too...

/cynical mode off

I was reading today that Kelly Osbourne had tweeted “i cant even breath right my now im crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy & will never forget the real you!” on the day of Amy Winehouse's death. She might have been crying so hard she couldn't breath, but it didn't stop her from posting on Twitter did it!

Isn't all that stuff just the same as the dreadful mawkish RIP and "thoughts are with his family" etc threads which get posted on this forum from time to time ?

Possibly, although I hope to think that if I'd just found out one of my best friends had died, the last thing I'd be thinking about is it posting it on Twitter.

Luddite.

I have nothing against manufacturing machines Gladys. I just don't like that there sometimes seems to be a media race amongst 'celebrities' as to who can be the first/most emotional one to publicly pour out their feelings on events.

I just don't like that there sometimes seems to be a media race amongst 'celebrities' as to who can be the first/most emotional one to publicly pour out their feelings on events.

you have to deliberately tune into them in order to know what they are saying.

A genuine message of condolance is not personal if simply, and without much effort, stuck up on twitter for the world and its mother to examine and comment on. It comes across as more about the twit than the bereaved.

A genuine message of condolance is not personal if simply, and without much effort, stuck up on twitter for the world and its mother to examine and comment on. It comes across as more about the twit than the bereaved.

Exactly. I know as Pongo says we have to 'tune in' to know what they are saying, but it's everywhere so it's hard to miss sometimes (although I do hold my hands up and admit to reading trashy magazines like Heat very now and then :().

I think that some people seem more concerned with how they are perceived by the public than how they are really feeling. There seem to be a large number of 'celebrities' who are famous for not actually doing much other than dating or being related to another famous person so they have to get themselves into the media in every possible way, even if it's spouting publicly their every emotion.

Maybe it is just a sign of the times, and social media is the way it's going, but I can't help feeling that it doesn't always seem genuine, it's more of a look at me type of thing. As for the ones that have slagging matches at eachother on Twitter, Facebook etc (yes you Katie Price), didn't anybody ever tell them that it's not polite to air your dirty laundry in public as they say!!

Archived