Downie Or Delaney?

shamus

Dominic Delaney is standing again for the Legislative Council and so is Alex Downie MHK, Trade and Industry Minister.

Dominic has slammed the parliamentary system on the IOM but wants to be appointed MLC to make changes. He has no allegiance to the Council of Ministers and is prepared to stand again as an MHK if he is defeated.

Alex will face a general election if he does not get appointed and rumour has it that to be appointed MLC will give him a happy retirement. Alex as a Minister is a member of the Council of Ministers. If he is appointed MLC no one knows whether the Chief Minister will keep him as Industry Minister.

Even though some may hate the fact we have a Legislative Council, while it does exist who do you think would be the better man?

My personal view is Dominic because he is fearless and like Peter Karran is not afraid to rock the boat and expose scandal.

If it boils down to a choice between the two - Downie versus Delaney - then Delaney is the only sensible choice.

Dominic delaney has great experience of the Isle of Man and its government. He's spoken out against wrongdoings many times over many years.

Dominic was never known as a polititican who "cultivated" people to advance his personal standing.

Alex Downie comes across as a career politician, i.e., one who is better off in politics than ever he was working. He comes across to me as being out to climb the ladder of success and power as high as smarm and back scratching will allow.

Do you know your MHK? If you do, please telephone and ask them to place their vote behind Dominic Delaney. Also could you ask them to sponsor appointment to the Legislative Council being by democratic election by the people rather than by partial election by non elected politicians?

For your information

MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF KEYS

SPEAKER : The Hon James Anthony BROWN SHK

RAMSEY: Hon Allan Robert BELL MHK & Mrs Anne Valerie CRAINE MHK

AYRE: William Edward TEARE Esq MHK

MICHAEL: John David Qualtrough CANNAN Esq MHK

PEEL: Mrs Hazel HANNAN MHK

GARFF: Hon Stephen Charles RODAN BSc MR Pharm S MHK

GLENFABA: David Moore ANDERSON Esq MHK

MIDDLE: George Martyn QUAYLE Esq MHK

ONCHAN: Peter KARRAN Esq MHK

Richard Kenneth CORKILL B Pharm MR Pharm S MHK - Adrian John EARNSHAW Esq MHK

DOUGLAS NORTH: John Ramsey HOUGHTON Esq MHK

Robert William HENDERSON Esq DipMgt MIMgt MIHSM RMN MHK UNCLE TOM COBLEY & ALL

DOUGLAS SOUTH:  - Hon David Clifford CRETNEY MHK - Adrian Carlos DUGGAN Esq MHK

DOUGLAS EAST: Hon Robert Philip BRAIDWOOD BEng MHK - Mrs Brenda Josephine CANNELL MHK

DOUGLAS WEST: Hon Alexander Frank DOWNIE MHK - Hon John Philip SHIMMIN BEd MHK

CASTLETOWN: The Hon James Anthony BROWN SHK

MALEW AND SANTON: Andrew Cowin DOUGLAS Esq MHK

RUSHEN: Hon John RIMINGTON MHK

Quintin Bennett GILL Esq MHK - Philip Anderson GAWNE Esq MHK

CLERK OF TYNWALD, SECRETARY OF THE HOUSE OF KEYS & COUNSEL TO THE SPEAKER: Malachy CORNWELL-KELLY LLB AKC MCMI

CHAPLAIN OF THE HOUSE OF KEYS: Revd G B QUINN MBE

MEMBERS OF LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL

THE LORD BISHOP OF SODOR AND MAN The Rt Rev Graeme Paul KNOWLES AKC MLC

H M ATTORNEY GENERAL: William John Howarth CORLETT Esq QC MLC

CLERK OF THE COUNCIL: Mrs Marilyn CULLEN

Mrs Clare Margaret CHRISTIAN BSc MLC

Mrs Pamela Mavis CROWE MLC

Dominic Francis Kevin DELANEY Esq MLC

Hon Donald James GELLING CInstSMM FIMgt MLC

Dudley Michael William BUTT Esq MLC

Edmund George LOWEY Esq MLC

Leonard Ian SINGER Esq MR Pharm S MLC

George Henry WAFT Esq Dip App SS BSc(Hons) MLC

All in the phone book if you'd like to chat.

‘Docker’ Downie is probably the most inappropriate individual to sit in any management organisation let alone form a part of government of anything that could be found of Gods Green Earth.

His reputation abroad, at least in a couple of cases where I have had comments made to me from people who have met him, is dreadful and he is seen in a very poor light indeed.

In my opinion from knowing him from the days that the seat was out of his trousers (literally) and having watched his crawling up the political ladder over the years then the thought of him in any political post, let alone an ‘upper chamber’ appals me.

This is not out of envy or jealously. I have done rather well for myself over the years, I suspect rather better than Alex, so there’s no ‘green eyed monster’ involved. This is all about knowing him very well as a boy and as a young man and watching his antics --- and spin.

Alex for the LC? They would do better to leave the seat vacant.

It is a sad day for Manx Government when these two individuals are the only ones they can come up with for the job. It is even sadder to think that they (MHKs) could even consider voting for Downie in preference to Delaney.

Too many votes going on buddies and favours instead of picking the better man for the job. That’s typically Tynwald though, isn’t it?

To ensure that this fiasco is cleared up once and for all, I propose that the Conclave system be applied when (s)electing an MLC. They're locked in there until a decision is made.

In fact, this sysytem could be used to help focus the mind and speed up decision making and cut costs in all areas of conflict.

/ memo. Check if courthouse has a chimney. If not, check availability of Energy from waste plant.

From what was said in a previous thread, and in this thread, people don't seem to realise that Mr. Delaney HAS been an MLC for the past ten years, and was going for a further five years.

He has been pretty comprehensively rejected by those entitled to vote for him. There must be a valid reason.

From what was said in a previous thread, and in this thread, people don't seem to realise that Mr. Delaney HAS been an MLC for the past ten years, and was going for a further five years.

He has been pretty comprehensively rejected by those entitled to vote for him.    There must be a valid reason.

From what was said in a previous thread, and in this thread, people don't seem to realise that Mr. Downie IS a has been MHK. He might be comprehensively rejected by those entitled to vote for him.

There must be a valid reason?

:D

Maybe it is time for a new name to be proposed as it is obvious that neither candidates are considered suitable by their peers.

I've been checking my Inbox and there's no sign of a "Request to Nominate" email.

Must be the Spam Filter <_<

Archived