More Room For Government

crumlin

The building that the Government are using in Hill Street and built by Dandara could be the long term home for a Government Department. The Government have leased the building for twenty one years but have two break dates in the lease, one being July 05 the other October 05. Its aledged that these dates were set up to allow the Government (Keys) to move back into the wedding cake building this year. It now seems that with the work on the wedding cake a year behind and not due to be handed back until early 06, this could mean that the Government will be stuck with a building they dont need

/guessing (so don't shoot me)...

The problem with that theory is that commercial lets fell through the floor months ago.

There may also be a problem with subletting. They could try and find a company to take over the lease, but most business would prefer to negotiate their own terms of a lease rather than accept somebody else's terms. The Government are not renowned for their negotiationg skills.

Edit: There would be the possiblity of pulling out of the lease in Oct 05, moving as many people back to the Wedding Cake as possible then taking a short term lease on a smaller building for the rest, or negotiationg new terms on the existing building.

/not guessing

Perhaps they have another department with a lease expiring in the summer of 2006 that they're not planning on renewing so they can move and occupy the one featured in this thread. Thereby nothing is left empty.

The building that the Government are using in Hill Street and built by Dandara

I might be reading what you said wrong but Dandara/homes didn't biuld the property the Gov, Tynwald, are using in Hill St. They might have refurbed it, i don't know, but they certainly didn't build it.

Celt afraid you are totally wrong. Dandara did build it but they dont now own it as it was sold on to an investment company.

Panama company by any chance? :ph34r:

Surely experience tells us the answer to this one? Other departments will expand to 'better serve the needs of the electorate.' I can remember when Govt buildings on Prospect Hill + Markwell House were going to be sufficient to satisfy all the requirements. Since then: Murray House, Sea Terminal etc. Quite simply, work (and office space) will always be able to expand to meet the requirements of the ever growing army of civil servants. Am I being too cynical?

Archived