Dr. Who On At 7Pm...wtf?

Matt Bawden

Just caught a glimpse of a preview of Dr.Who and I was shocked, that is some serious scary stuff for kids and to be honest the general way that the majority of people parent I'm fairly sure that there'll be loads of kids whose minds are getting polluted with this and whose parents really can't see the bigger picture or couoldn't care less as long as their kids are not giving them aggro. Very disturbing stuff.

Shut up you tart.

I laughed at your response, very funny.

However, I'm not saying I'm scared of it, just that young kids will be, isn't it supposed to be a family programme on at family peak viewing time? You may well mock but seeing as though we live in a time when 9 year old kids are playing the likes of Call of Duty and parents couldn't give a toss isn't it about time someone said enough is enough?

What's the big deal about children being a little scared? I only ask because of the topic and the way I notice many parents seem to be anal about sheilding their children from any media that has the potential to scare.

At the very worst they might be hard to put to sleep, but they are hardly going to be mentally scared from seeing a monster or scary alien, etc. on the telly.

Quite a different subject, though Matt, to have children playing violent computer games.

If you're bothered about polluting shit, then you wouldn't have your children anywhere near the television if you had sense considering the manipulation that goes on through advertising of toys (junk).

I thought the whole point of Dr Who was to scare children.

My sister and I, aged about 8 and 6, went to the Dr Who exhibition in Blackpool - as soon as we were through the door my sister started screaming at the models of some of the monsters and we were whisked straight through and out by our slightly embarrassed (and pissed off at the waste of money) parents. I don't think the nightmares lasted for many years :)

What's the big deal about children being a little scared? I only ask because of the topic and the way I notice many parents seem to be anal about sheilding their children from any media that has the potential to scare.

At the very worst they might be hard to put to sleep, but they are hardly going to be mentally scared from seeing a monster or scary alien, etc. on the telly.

Quite a different subject, though Matt, to have children playing violent computer games.

If you're bothered about polluting shit, then you wouldn't have your children anywhere near the television if you had sense considering the manipulation that goes on through advertising of toys (junk).

The TV is rarely on to be honest and when it is it's cbeebies (no adverts) only and recordings of Peppa Pig (again no adverts). About Dr.Who, I only postedd because I thought it was a bit much, no a lot too much for kids and believe me I certainly don't shield my kids too much...my eldest (2 1/2) was using the petrol strimmer last weekend, with me behind before anyone gets on their high horse, but there's no way I'd let them watch Dr. Who until I don't know what age really, apart from the fact that it looks shite.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it warrants, but my wife was also pretty shocked about the content and she's a damn sight smarter than me and a better judge of most things. It could be worse I guess, they could be watching X Factor,lol.

We let our 6 year old son watch it. To be honest, most of it goes over his head and he just asks when he wants to know what is happening in the plot but he's quite happy to just look at the monsters. There's nothing wrong with being a little scared.

Torchwood however......

Yeah but an angry dad with a shotgun can be awfully persuasive albert.

Doctor who should have been shelved years ago, it was a treat going to the pitures as a kid to watch the latest dr who films in black and white, theyve lost their simplicity.

Yeah but an angry dad with a shotgun can be awfully persuasive albert.

Doctor who should have been shelved years ago, it was a treat going to the pitures as a kid to watch the latest dr who films in black and white, theyve lost their simplicity.

Perhaps, but you'll be relieved to know that you haven't! :rolleyes:

There were only two Dr Who movies, in the 1960s - Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966) - both starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor and both in technicolor.

It was only the early TV series that were B&W.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it warrants, but my wife was also pretty shocked about the content and she's a damn sight smarter than me and a better judge of most things.

I disagree. She married you.

Good point, I'll be sure to mention it to her :lol:

Archived