Deus Ex Human Revolution

Twonky

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on MF so just thought I'd give you a heads-up that this game is fantastic.

Currently pegged at 90/100 on Metacritic and seems to be consistently scoring well across the board.

I've had the game less than a week and have already put 24 hours into it according to Steam, and I've still got the final third to go.

To describe it I'd go with the original Deus Ex crossed with F.E.A.R. crossed with Max Payne. The levels are less sprawling than the original Deus Ex but there's still the same fundamental choices as to how you want to approach the game. Stealth, gunplay, silent takedowns, hacking etc - most likely a combination of everything.

Augmentations and a limited inventory are back too, so you build your character throughout the game based on your own play style. I'm quite partial to a bit of stealth myself but ultimately I enjoy shooting people in the head too much so I always have some decent weaponry about my person and appropriate augmentations.

There's also a new 'takedown' system which is a lethal or non-lethal melee attack, which can also be upgraded with an augmentation to a double takedown. Quite handy when you're trying to eliminate enemies without making too much noise. Although as the game is 'open' there's nothing to stop you trying them out on anyone you fancy, as the various youtube videos of the protagonist punching prostitutes in the face will attest to.

One final note, the PC version is absolutely the version of choice. Whilst it's still a great game on the consoles, the Eurogamer face-off ran off a big long list of stuff where the console versions are cut back or compromised, to the extent that the game itself is negatively impacted. It's not a PC killer either, a mate of mine is running it all pimped out on a pretty basic dual-core i3 system with 4GB of RAM and a Radeon 5770 graphics card.

Overall, best game I've played in years and highly recommended.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-face-off

Was looking at this in game yesterday:

Standard version £39.99

Limited Edition version £39.99

Yeap, the same price. SOmeone at Game needs to go back to school.

Get it off Steam for £29.99 - then you'll have by far the best version of it to play as well as saving yourself a tenner.

Standard version £39.99

Get it off Steam for £29.99 - then you'll have by far the best version of it to play as well as saving yourself a tenner.

I'd normally get it of steam but their pricing is messed up considering its a digital distribution. I bought mine from shopto.net for about £25. It arrived a few days before release but I couldnt install it because it still activates through steam. Steam did let me preload it from them though even though I'd boought it elsewhere. bizarre.

Standard version £39.99

I'd normally get it of steam but their pricing is messed up considering its a digital distribution. I bought mine from shopto.net for about £25. It arrived a few days before release but I couldnt install it because it still activates through steam. Steam did let me preload it from them though even though I'd boought it elsewhere. bizarre.

A lot of games allow you to use Steam for downloading/updating regardless of where they were bought, it's a really nice feature.

With regards to the game, I've just finished it last night. Around 29 hours in total on hardest with no kills, only takedowns + non-lethal solutions. Enjoyed it more than anything else I've played for years, save for maybe Red Dead Redemption.

Game of the year for me.

Loved the original game, and ignored this till the Monday before it came out assuming it would be another "Invisible War", but when I saw the reviews I had to get it and it is so good.

Nice to have a game with proper choices that actually have an impact on the later game, and an upgrade system that actually effects the way you play.

Definitely game of the year for me too (PC version).

Having played through it twice, I've got the game-guide and I'm now enjoying working through all the stuff I missed out on/didn't choose to see before.

There's no way this could have been as sprawling as the first game, given the amount of work involved with environments and game assets for modern titles, but the environments we did get are crammed with detail and great for exploring.

The 'Debug' mod is the icing on the cake for me - considering you can't re-start the game with all augmentations intact once you've finished (which I think is a missed opportunity) and having the debug menu means you can select your loadout before starting.

Fabulous.

Absolutely loving this game. Best fun i've had in ages

Not sure which system Eurogamer were saying the long load times are on, but i can load a saved game in less than 5 seconds on my system.

Watched the videos of it on the consoles - how on earth anyone can enjoy a game like this when the framerate is dropping down to 20fps is beyond me

i'm loving this game at the moment...so far haven't killed anyone ( apart from the people you have to ). to be honest i've not noticed frame-rate problems and the load times don't bother me in the slightest. finding it hard to spend cash though, i've got nearly 40k credits and i'm fast running out of things to invest praxis points in!

Can't wait to play through again killing everything that moves! hehehe

i'm loving this game at the moment...so far haven't killed anyone ( apart from the people you have to ). to be honest i've not noticed frame-rate problems and the load times don't bother me in the slightest. finding it hard to spend cash though, i've got nearly 40k credits and i'm fast running out of things to invest praxis points in!

Can't wait to play through again killing everything that moves! hehehe

I've not killed anyone either other than the boss fight. Inventory management's getting on my nerves, I've expanded the inventory to max, and still you've got to play tetris to fit everything in and leave stuff behind. Bit annoying.

Cash is useless yeah, I've hacked everything that moves, and robbed everyone and I've tonnes of cash with nothing to splurge it on.

I gather it's less fun if you play it as a shooter, and there's not enough ammo.

Good fun, but not perfect.

I've not killed anyone yet either, and as far as I am aware not set off any alarms.

I have stacks of ammo, money and more praxis points than I know what to do with. The only problem is a distinct lack of energy items.

Not really had much of a problem with the inventory system, its similar to the original game and it makes a change to have a proper inventory.

Archived