British Solider And Abuse Of Iraqi

La_Dolce_Vita

http://www.hmforces.co.uk/news/articles/9253-soldiers-may-face-charges-after-iraq-inquiry

This incident doesn't seem to have been big news, which isn't that surprising considering people don't like the British military to have a tarnished name no matter what it does, but the findings were pretty damning over what was going on.

What I don't understand is how the techniques used for interrogation that we banned in 1972 came to be used in Iraq. Who authorised it? Who knew about it? It wasn't an isolated one-off thing. The whole episode really ought to have caused a massive fuss given the outcome when in reality the findings will be the end of the matter.

Such a shame that civilians who have ever partaken in serious violence in society are punished severely yet others who presumably come off scot-free because of their job. Amusing yet depressing for one to realise that people genuinely think that the Armed Forces fight against Terror in the world when such highly significant and well-known incidents such as this can (and do) put the British and American civilians lives at risk.

LDV I thought there was quite a lot of coverage of this on the day the report was released and the following couple of days on radio, TV and in the papers. Could it be the fact that " evidence in the inquiry’s report could form the basis for a new prosecution" that limits the extent of further commentary? Totally inexcusable behaviour that creates enemies.

A key issue is whether it is systemic or not. The problems with rioters was not systemic to the whole population of the UK. The London bombings were not systemic to the whole Muslim population of the UK. The thefts and tax avoidance by MPs were not systemic to the whole of Parliament (well not quite). So most probably this is not systemic either. There is no evidence to suggest it is.

What I mean is that I think this sort of thing should have caused far, far more of a fuss than it did because a large number of people were involved and because it appears that a lot of people were not punished for it.

In terms of what is systematic, sorry to split hairs, I don't think the examples you gave are that good, I'll explain why. When we talk of the Armed Forces we speak of an institution. This is not the case with 'The Population of the UK' or Muslims. Although the thefts and tax avoidance of MPs were widespread and was a result of working in that institution and working with others who also thieved.

What seems to be the case is that a group of men abuse Iraqi's on more than one occasionand with knowledge of their immediate superiors. It may go further up the chain. Although the possibility of it being systematic is very important (though not key) and must be examined, my issue with it all is the fact that it has taken place and not been a subject that has been of great significance.

What I mean is that I think this sort of thing should have caused far, far more of a fuss than it did because a large number of people were involved and because it appears that a lot of people were not punished for it.

In terms of what is systematic, sorry to split hairs, I don't think the examples you gave are that good, I'll explain why. When we talk of the Armed Forces we speak of an institution. This is not the case with 'The Population of the UK' or Muslims. Although the thefts and tax avoidance of MPs were widespread and was a result of working in that institution and working with others who also thieved.

What seems to be the case is that a group of men abuse Iraqi's on more than one occasionand with knowledge of their immediate superiors. It may go further up the chain. Although the possibility of it being systematic is very important (though not key) and must be examined, my issue with it all is the fact that it has taken place and not been a subject that has been of great significance.

I suppose it is quite easy for us to sit in our comfy homes and condemn the actions. What went on was appalling and should be dealt with accordingly. Let's not forget however the situation our servicemen and women find themselves. Before you vent your collective spleens, I am not for one minute condoning their actions but let the people who are there deal with it and not another trial by media

Archived