Official Secrets Fail

Pierrot Lunaire

After the splendid job the Guardian did in the public interest of bringing the News International phone hacking scandal to light, it was hard to imagine Knacker of the Yard stooping any lower than they already were with their cosy and at best questionable relationship with the news group. They did however manage just that with their tactically peculiar employment of the Official Secrets Act to force disclosure of the reporters' sources. (No such act necessary on the island of course). It seems someone has now seen sense, perhaps for damage limitation purposes. I was beginning to imagine that Rupe must have told them to do it.

Yes the Guardian does like raising issues regarding forcing people to reveal their sources doesn't it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/nov/12/davidleigh

Not sure I understand your thrust here? That's a fair reporting of the facts it seems to me, and David Leigh was backing Roly Drower's right to protect his source's identity. A right which on the island turned out to be non existent.

Not sure I understand your thrust here? That's a fair reporting of the facts it seems to me, and David Leigh was backing Roly Drower's right to protect his source's identity. A right which on the island turned out to be non existent.

Apologies.

I didn't clearly make the point which was exactly as you have identified viz that David Leigh was backing Roly Drower's right to protect his source's identity. And as you say that turned out to be non existant here.

After the splendid job the Guardian did in the public interest of bringing the News International phone hacking scandal to light, it was hard to imagine Knacker of the Yard stooping any lower than they already were with their cosy and at best questionable relationship with the news group. They did however manage just that with their tactically peculiar employment of the Official Secrets Act to force disclosure of the reporters' sources. (No such act necessary on the island of course). It seems someone has now seen sense, perhaps for damage limitation purposes. I was beginning to imagine that Rupe must have told them to do it.

Au contraire Pierre.

It's so simple even a Daily Wail reader could understand it. Ok, maybe not a Daily Wail reader (no mention of immigration, a workshy underclass on benefits, evictions from Dale Farm and how wonderful the ConDems are) but it's pretty obvious how it goes. Access to levels of intel are governed by vetting. Mr Plod is certain that whoever is feeding the Grauniad has signed the Official Secrets Act. As it's perm any one from lots that have a social conscience you can pretty much forget it. In any event, the source could probably quite legitimately play the "in the public interest" card that gave Maggie such a beasting.

End of....

Archived