In Tynwald 20/4

crumlin

sometimes it takes the threat of disqualification to make the responsible retailers reflect on the consequences.

Agreed in Tynwald:

New temporary orders allowing longer drinking hours on the Steam Packet have been voted in by Tynwald.

Ferry bars will be allowed to open three hours before the boat leaves dock, as well as an additional hour when it arrives.

The temporary orders are in place from now until after TT, the fifth of July through to the 1st August and the seventh of August through to the 3rd September.

The orders were voted in by 23 votes in favour and eight against.

Source: Manx Radio

That'll teach 'em.

I'm wondering why 3 hours before and an hour afterwards though when you add to that 2.5 to 3.5 hour crossing times and during TT a lot of passengers ride or drive off the boat.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why they've done it I suppose. During TT / MGP the loading times can start up to 3 hours before departure (lashing bikes is a nightmare!) So they probably want to be able to open up all of the facilities to maximise the cashflow.

The hour afterwards may just be to allow for 'drinking up' time, so they don't have to ensure that the bar is shut prior to docking, which I believe they presently do.

But if you bear in mind that the majority of those who are required to check-in so far in advance of departure are normally responsible for a vehicle of some description then you have to wonder where the demand for ale comes from?

Archived