New Ministers

crumlin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Butt

I don't know dick about the political system over here, but I was under the impression that regular ministers (ie not the Chief) had to be elected officials. Probably wrong, but that was my understanding. No offence to Mr Butt.

Unfortunately, a member of the MLC can hold a Minister's job as well.

Stinks, but there you go.

I can't remember the last one who was actually given a Minister's job whilst sitting as an MLC already though. (Other than the CM debacle of course)

Edit = Typo

I don't know dick about the political system over here, but I was under the impression that regular ministers (ie not the Chief) had to be elected officials. Probably wrong, but that was my understanding. No offence to Mr Butt.

I thought Mr Butt was elected to LegCo by the members of the Keys, and LegCo members can be Ministers.

I can't remember the last one who was actually given a Minister's job whilst sitting as an MLC already though

Was it Clare Christian in Health? or was she Minister first then MLC?

I recall various comments about her not being answerable to the electorate on a previous forum.

I'd like to see Shimmin out myself.

Would hate to see Cretney taken from the DTL, though he's not great at anything bar the TT at least he's 100% on that.

don't want to see Butt in. Only thing he's got going for him is his idea on public transport.

Non democratically elected Legislative Council members acting as Ministers is more common than you may think.

Mrs Clare Margaret CHRISTIAN BSc MLC

Mrs Pamela Mavis CROWE MLC

Hon Alexander Frank DOWNIE MLC

and of course

Hon Donald James GELLING CInstSMM FIMgt MLC

To clarify my post.......

I can't remember the last one who was actually given a Minister's job whilst sitting as an MLC already though. (Other than the CM debacle of course)

They were MHK's when elected to Ministerial office and then promoted to the upper table.

With the exception of course of The Don (who I had already ID'd)

I'd like to see Shimmin out myself.

Would hate to see Cretney taken from the DTL, though he's not great at anything bar the TT at least he's 100% on that.

don't want to see Butt in. Only thing he's got going for him is his idea on public transport.

Mr Cretney should go, it was him and his department that failed over the Ned Scandal, the same scandal that will cost the taxpayer £1 million

Archived