Questions, Questions, Questions....

chris

Slim if there was anyone that ever missed a point...

Na, not at all. Distrust of politicians isn't new, it's not surprising and it's certianly not just a local problem. But our system is what it is, and sometimes the way to get answers is to simply ask the people who know.

Not all of them are rotton, we put them there after all (well, the elected ones anyway!). I've used my mhk (Peter Karran) a couple of times, and he's been very helpful.

If, however, you've got something to say rather than something to ask, just come out and say it. Seems so many of the spook chasers around here just want to get excited about all the negative stuff without any kind of constructive action around it. Chris's rection to the responses he got here is fairly typical, and it's the reason he'll get that kind of response. When was the last time you saw crumlin or vader make a positive suggestion other than 'off with his head!'?

Fair point, but fruitless to comment as my main post has been deleted.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a point in asking questions. You already know you won't get the answers. It simply lets the establishment know that those questions are being asked. The most dramatic part of any parliamentary process is usually question time. The questions are almost always more enlightening than the answers.

I don't have an MHK I have an MP. I've raised it with him. He said he came up against a brick wall. The Dept of Constitutional Affairs says it's an internal matter. Smoke and mirrors. It seems to be a closed world.

An MP? You're not in the isle of man?

How can I increase my bra size without also increasing my waist?
The secret is to rub them twice a day with toilet paper.

It's been working on women's backsides for years.

© Chubby Brown

Isn't it the case that we're sometimes a bit too close to our elected representatives in the IoM. Most of us are, at the very least, on speaking terms with at least one of them and, therefore, we think we know them.

Unfortunately, the man/woman that we think we know is not necessarily the same as the one who has to face the realities of political life and make decisions on our behalf.

It is, therefore, a far from perfect system and open to abuse.

But isn't it still better than having to pick some oick who is foisted on us by a remote party machine that is run by spin doctors as in the UK?

Isn't it the case that we're sometimes a bit too close to our elected representatives in the IoM.  Most of us are, at the very least, on speaking terms with at least one of them and, therefore, we think we know them. 

Unfortunately, the man/woman that we think we know is not necessarily the same as the one who has to face the realities of political life and make decisions on our behalf.

It is, therefore, a far from perfect system and open to abuse. 

But isn't it still better than having to pick some oick who is foisted on us by a remote party machine that is run by spin doctors as in the UK?

The difference is that a party or grouping of politicians can achieve change and the people that vote, vote for the policy.

At present on the IOM we vote for the individual who cannot promise anything and by virtue of such the electorate has no ultimate say in who the individuals elect to be Chief Minister who has the power to appoint other sub Ministers who govern this Isle.

So the Manx people have no say in who is appointed Chief "oick" as you call it.

Inever said I was on the island-I'm in southern England. Do you have to live on IOM to contribute to the forum?

No, but why are you bothered by local issues?

Why? Because I took out a Petition of Doleance in your High Court to try and expose the incompetence and corruption in your family court system. Got nowhere so am writing a piece for a national newspaper about the experience. Used to work freelance for Guardian and Independent. Trying to glean some further background. That's all.

Another one that comes onto an internet forum and doesn't even tell half a story, so everyones left in the dark.

Why type it in the first place if you're not going to elaborate on the post. Could it be you're just an attention seeking sort of person.

Archived