Questions, Questions, Questions....

chris

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What happened at Roly Drower's Appeal?

What happened to the public inquiry into childcare and demise of Nugent Care?

What happened to the Human Rights Act?

What happened to questions about Dudley Butt following Roly around?

What happened to reforms after Mount Murray?

What happened to the publication of the police bugging inquiry?

What happened to the return of Manxman?

......and what happened to justice on the Isle of Man?

And what happened to questions about -'Prov G Almoner: The Hon. Alexander F. Downie, MHK (pAGDC)'

Have you asked your MHK?

And who cares about the manxman.com return?

1) I don't HAVE an MHK - I'm not an Island resident - does that mean that I shouldn't care about what is being done in what remains my homeland?

2) manxman.com - even if it does return - is unlikely to be an real open forum where matters of real concern can be opened up. The vader forum - for all its faults - was at least a place where bad things could be given a good airing.

1) I don't HAVE an MHK - I'm not an Island resident - does that mean that I shouldn't care about what is being done in what remains my homeland?

Cor, there's a trend here. The two biggest bleaters in this thread don't even live here! You can care all you like, but if you're not being wronged, then you have no course of action.

2)  manxman.com - even if it does return - is unlikely to be an real open forum where matters of real concern can be opened up.

So I ask again, who cares?

The vader forum - for all its faults - was at least a place where bad things could be given a good airing.

'a good airing' in front of it's five members? That'll change the world eh?

I'm not complaining yet - I would just like to know if there is anything you can do if you feel the need to.

As a taxpayer you have every right to complain if you feel that your taxes have been wronly used, This can be done by writting to Mr Clive McGreal, The Government Auditor, HSBC Building, Victoria Street, Douglas.

And as of today the Neds have still not returned the Grant money to the DTL (fact).

The planning approvals have still not been met

The DTL are allowing the Neds to have fulltime residents staying at Ballacain, against planning approval

Not strictly correct. Each Dept has an accounting officer (normally the CEO) who has ultimate responsibility for their annual vote.

He is the Chief Internal Auditor, which means he is responsible for those who audit the relevant sections (i.e. that the necessary checks and balances are in place and that Financial Regs are being followed).

He does not, however, dictate how the money is spent.

The auditors (should) have unrestricted access to staff and records and should be able to track any anomolies.....

Not strictly correct.  Each Dept has an accounting officer (normally the CEO) who has ultimate responsibility for their annual vote.

He is the Chief Internal Auditor, which means he is responsible for those who audit the relevant sections (i.e. that the necessary checks and balances are in place and that Financial Regs are being followed).

He does not, however, dictate how the money is spent.

The auditors (should) have unrestricted access to staff and records and should be able to track any anomolies.....

Without going further into it, this is the way that we were told to go about it legally. And may I also point out this is the way Mr Cretney went, he made his complaint to the same person.

Cor, there's a trend here. The two biggest bleaters in this thread don't even live here! You can care all you like, but if you're not being wronged, then you have no course of action.

Maybe not living on the Island permits a wider perspective as well as immunity from any implications resulting from turning stones over and exposing the low life creepy sleazy creatures that exist and thrive in the hot-house incestuous politics of The Island.

And one course of action open is to communicate to the tiny extent that we can the dishonesty and corruption that exists on the Island, especially in its ‘government’, to others over here who may be in a position to at least even if not cause questions to be asked and maybe action taken in the future, to in turn sensitise others so that when other events do surface more interest will be shown. .

Also by means of this forum to encourage even if only a few to be indignant about the state of ‘government’ on the Island.

Otherwise your comment smells badly of a variation of ‘there’s a boat every morning, yessir’.

And as for the ‘five members’ of Vaders forum --- you maybe overlooking the possibility that posts from there were copied and sent to other places as examples of wrong doing, just as posts from here are not exclusively read by Manx residents. And not simply read, in more than a few cases cut & pasted to illustrate concerns and corruption.

But that apart, give the man credit for not just whingeing and doing nothing. He tried, and up to being shafted, he was succeeding.

Who would care if a truly open forum such as manxman.com came near to being were to be launched? A few. But that few would grow in two ways. Positively as people realised that there was a place for the dirt to be exposed and others very negatively for precisely the opposite reason.

There is no free press on the Island – that forum with all its faults came as close as anything had in years.

Maybe not living on the Island permits a wider perspective as well as immunity from any implications resulting from turning stones over and exposing the low life creepy sleazy creatures that exist and thrive in the hot-house incestuous politics of The Island.

Conversely, maybe not living on the island prevents you from experiencing the quality of life here and all the positive things our government are doing for us. I imagine things can look quite bleak looking in from the outside, people rarely outspoken about something that's gone well.

Also by means of this forum to encourage even if only a few to be indignant about the state of ‘government’ on the Island.

As I've said many times, my experience of government is positive. My elected representative has worked on my behalf in the past and achieved results which I doubt I'd have been able to do alone. I'm also impressed with other aspects of government, education for example is excellant here, and the regulators are pretty impressive too most of the time. I'm not saying there aren't problems, but it's not all bad, certainly not bad enough to write government in single quotes!

Otherwise your comment smells badly of a variation of ‘there’s a boat every morning, yessir’.

Well, it's an option, same with this forum. If you don't like it....

And as for the ‘five members’ of Vaders forum --- you maybe overlooking the possibility that posts from there were copied and sent to other places as examples of wrong doing, just as posts from here are not exclusively read by Manx residents.  And not simply read, in more than a few cases cut & pasted to illustrate concerns and corruption.

Huh? You think a copied post to a small and private board is going to matter a jot to anyone?

But that apart, give the man credit for not just whingeing and doing nothing.  He tried, and up to being shafted, he was succeeding. 

Succeeding in what? I'm not a great fan of private discussions, what use did it serve? I tried to join the board myself, but was refused, so what exactly should I give him credit for? Being scared to speak out in public?

Who would care if a truly  open forum such as manxman.com came near to being  were to be launched?  A few.  But that few would grow in two ways.  Positively as people realised that there was a place for the dirt to be exposed and others very negatively  for precisely the opposite reason.

There are legitimate places for 'dirt' to be exposed, if the revelations are true. If there not, then they don't belong anywhere.

There is no free press on the Island – that forum with all its faults came as close as anything had in years.

Rot. Check the thread today about Victor Kneales comments in the local rags regarding MHK pay. Check the thread regarding stu peters comments about the MEA report.

Who would care if a truly  open forum such as manxman.com came near to being  were to be launched? ..... that forum with all its faults came as close as anything had in years.

It wasn't a forum, was it?

Incidentally - various snapshots of the manxman.com Black Pages are at archive.org. Including the offending items.

Many people work in Government and do a bloody good job, most of the time not given the credit they deserve. On saying this you have MHKs that when things go well they take the praise for the work done by others, but when things go wrong we hear the same old song its a departmental staff problem, and I have first hand experience of this and it will be published in a National Newspaper along with other issues once our case and the criminal case is resolved.

I also know for a fact that one major UK paper check out the contents of this site in their research to a story that will appear in that paper hopefully soon, and from what ive been told will do a hell of a lot of damage to the Island, something that should of been avoided.

Archived