Electricity Aint Getting Any Cheaper...

loaf

Personally, I've started making a concerted effort not to waste as much electricity in my home.

My PC is the biggest culprit - I really only use it for 1) email and web, and 2) mucking about with music - (I have a few bits of recording gear lashed up to the PC) but most of the time I admit that I leave it switched on, along with my rack gear, power amp, music keyboards etc. In actual fact, all this gear on all the time probably uses the most electricity in my home.

So... I've done something about it...

Step 1. Buy one of these

Step 2. Plug PC into socket 1 and all other peripherals, studio gear etc into the other sockets on the gadget.

Step 3. Set PC to hibernate after 1 hour of non-use. (Control Panel, Power Options)

Step 4. Whenever I leave my gear alone for an hour, the PC goes to sleep, and then three seconds later, the rest of the gear powers down.

Step 5. When I want to use it again, I press the button on the PC, and two seconds later all the gear powers up again automagically. One button, no hassle, and the PC's up and ready for use in about 30 seconds.

Basically with one of those gizmos, whatever you have plugged into the first socket governs whether the others are switched on or not, and when it's a computer, you can set the PC to hibernate after a certain amount of non-use. It's all surge protected and has warranties and everything.. Spot on, in my opinion...

As most electrical devices fail during the inrush of current associated with power up or due to thermal changes causing mechanical stress of components as they heat and cool during power cycles I would look at a device that saves such a piddling amount of electricity as a very false economy.

In industry high-tech equipment is generally left on 100% of the time so as to reduce power cycle failures, the cost of which far outweighs the small amount of electricity involved.

In any case the electricity consumed by a PC is fairly small and that of a printer, scanner, modem, etc is miniscule when idle.

To make a real impact on electricity bills look at the high-power devices such as the kettle and the ‘fridge and freezer. Half filling the kettle when making a drink makes a big difference and you can save a surprising amount of cash by having your freezer in a garage or an unheated room. Also by using the microwave to cook wherever possible.

I consider the device shown to be nothing much more than a gimmick and one that could prove a very expensive one at that in the longer term. One of those things that feels right --- and yet isn’t really. A bit like devices to run the wheels of an aircraft up to speed prior to landing to eliminate tyre scrub – not worth the cost.

As most electrical devices fail during  the inrush of current associated with power up or due to thermal changes causing mechanical stress of components as they heat and cool during power cycles  I would look at a device that saves such a piddling amount of electricity as a very false economy....

Some very valid points there. It's certainly made me think about this in a different light.

Yes, it's the only reason every PC in here is always powered up in some state . I've had three hard drive failures in 5 years, all happened when I switched the power off and back on again. Never had one die when it hasn't been going through the on/off process.

Mine are all on the top floor of the house so I can't hear them. I'm pretty impervious to the noise though. When I ived in a flat, I used to have 3 PCs running within 6 feet of where I slept.

Hardcore or what?

Hard drive.

Anyone else remember when they were called Winchesters?

No. But do you remember when there was no point in going on the internet after midday because of America waking up and making it really slow? About 10 years ago, I remember.

Archived