Night At The Races

ans

I'm going to check this out tomorrow with the gaming commission anyway, but I was told by someone the other day that recent legislation (or possibly recent enforcement of existing legislation) has come into play that has prohibited organisations holding popular 'Night At The Races' events anywhere but the Hilton because you need to have a venue with a gambling licence, of which there's one, at the Hilton.

Obviously this is great for them, but if true, it cuts off a fund raising method for a lot of small charities/clubs that rely on things like this to fund activities because they can't afford to take a chunk out of their proceeds to pay for this venue.

It might not be true, I heard tonight of a sports club holding one two weeks ago, but the person that told me swore blind it was the case. It may be that this one I've heard of wasn't brought to the attention of the authorities.

If it's true, it seems pretty harsh. Anyone confirm/deny before I bother the commission with it?

I'm only checking up as my association were thinking of holding one to raise funds for our Island Games trip. Wouldn't want to get fined or have the event cancelled on the night because of it.

I'm only going to ask them, not be an arse about it. Rules are rules, no matter how hard you think they suck.

Not clued up on IOM Gambling laws, but it reminds me of news a few years back in the UK.

A pub was stopped from holding Bingo nights. This wasn't a new law, it was enforcement of existing regulations.

Gambling is split into games of chance and games of skill. It is the type of game that determines if a licence is required.

If the story you heard is true Ans, it *may* be because "A Night At The Races" is a game of chance and is therefore regulated.

It used to be that a club running a tombola or a Race Night had to have a Gaming Licence, renewable each year. It cost £5 annually.

At the end of the event you have to submit forms detailing expenditure, income, prizes etc.

Simply done.

As far as I know the law has not changed in recent years to effect that.

Archived