Camera Obscura

Ripsaw

The Great Union Camera Obscura will soon be open to the public for the first time in 15 years. The Department of Local Government and the Environment, which owns the Camera Obscura, has recently completed major restoration of this Registered building. Mrs. Anne Craine, MHK, Member of the Department for Estates and Housing, will perform the opening ceremony at 10.00 a.m. on Saturday 30th April

More Details...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic... its not before time.... A classic piece of Manx local history in my opinion.

Terran

Already been in it. Very well done up, but it would have been nice to see the original colour scheme (or at least the one I remember when I was a lad......) restored. There is definitely an improvement in the quality of the screens, which means the image quality is much better as well.

happy camper Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Wouldn't it be just as easy to stand outside and look?

I also remember going to see it as a kid and the views were marvellous. I visited the camera obscura in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, which is a very popular tourist attraction. The only difference was that there was a guide on hand to explain the workings of the thing, and the fact that it isn't a patch on this one.

Oh, one other difference, of course - Edinburgh has lots of tourists.

Fantastic... its not before time.... A classic piece of Manx local history in my opinion.

Terran

Already been in it. Very well done up, but it would have been nice to see the original colour scheme (or at least the one I remember when I was a lad......) restored. There is definitely an improvement in the quality of the screens, which means the image quality is much better as well.

Why have they used lead based paint on the refurbishment when its banned in Europe

Why have they used lead based paint on the refurbishment when its banned in Europe

Christ, there's such a thing as being a whistleblower and then there's just being a tell-tale!

Christ, there's such a thing as being a whistleblower and then there's just being a tell-tale!

It is not the Contractors problem?, it was specified, but why when they could of used an alternative product, are we not promoting environmently friendly Island

I was in it a month or so ago, they have taken away one of the screens to make access to the mirrors easier and behind the screens is a new walkway (made safer coz we arent as hardy as the Victorians)

FCMR - you are so bitter and jealous, wouldnt they let you play?

Take no notice of those links from Americans scared of their own shadows.

What's wrong with licking a bit of lead?

If it was that harmful to eat, it wouldn't have been invented.

After all, God knows what he is doing

Archived