Camera Obscura

Ripsaw

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extract from

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/chemic...ead/advice4.htm

“UK Lead Paint Regulations 1927 (which has been superseded by the Control of Lead at Work Regulations 1998) implemented ILO Convention 13 advising on safe working practices when using lead paints.

In 1988, an 8th amendment to the Marketing and Use Directive 76/769/EEC proposed a complete ban on the use of lead carbonate and sulphate pigments (white lead) in paints. However, in September 1989, the European Parliament permitted a derogation in the Marketing and Use Directive (89/677/EEC) allowing the use of leaded paints for works of art and historic buildings. The Directive stated that lead carbonates and sulphates "may not be used as substances or constituents of preparations intended for use as paints, except for the restoration and maintenance of works of art and historic buildings and their interiors, where members states wish to authorise this on their territory, in accordance with the provisions of ILO Convention 13 on the use of white lead in paint".

The UK has implemented the provisions of the Directive through the Environmental Protection (Controls on Injurious Substances) Regulations, which allow restricted use of lead paint in accordance with the 1989 European Marketing and Use Directive.

The UK Regulations allow the manufacture and use of lead paint (containing white lead), but in controlled and special circumstances for the redecoration of Grade I and II * (Categories A, B and C(S) in Scotland) listed historic buildings. Strict regulations apply to its use.”

I was in it a month or so ago, they have taken away one of the screens to make access to the mirrors easier and behind the screens is a new walkway (made safer coz we arent as hardy as the Victorians)

FCMR - you are so bitter and jealous, wouldnt they let you play?

No, one of the screeens was taken away years ago when the obscura was still open, and the office extended back as otherwise people would just keep going round inside it, and not go out.

£2 well spent. 

Phew!! inflation!!! When I was a lad it was only 20p, or 50, or something like that. Ofcourse it was free to me anyway as my parents paid.....

It's not so much the price - that's probably about right - but in those days you got extra value for your money from all the courting couples in the grass where they thought they couldn't be seen!

It's not so much the price - that's probably about right - but in those days you got extra value for your money from all the courting couples in the grass where they thought they couldn't be seen!

Lmao, I remember that now you mention it.

Should have been used as a Human Biology Field Trip then the BoE could have paid for it :P

I think it is great that the camera is back in action. Such a shame that they got an opportunistic two faced MHK (Kerruish clone) to open it. But nevertheless it is good.

May be they should have such a camera installed in the Council of Ministers.

Not so much to see courting couples but to view the mafia in action.

Ha ha ha ;)

Archived