Camera Obscura

Ripsaw

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£2 well spent. 

Phew!! inflation!!! When I was a lad it was only 20p, or 50, or something like that. Ofcourse it was free to me anyway as my parents paid.....

It's not so much the price - that's probably about right - but in those days you got extra value for your money from all the courting couples in the grass where they thought they couldn't be seen!

LOL Peter Kelly was saying they'd have to get some people to do a streak across the grass to get the same level of interest now. I notived two pretty fit looking lasses nearby though, and thought they definitely improved the outlook. ;-)

All these Victorian things are very nice and very romantic in ideal, but in reality - we are not Victorians & we dont want their 'old rubbish'. People don't 'ohh and ahh' at the miracle of the Obscura these days because we are smarter in our expectations than they were.

The renovation money would have been better spent making something for the teenagers to do.

Sod them, the only thing teenagers enjoy doing is complaining there is nothing to do anyway.

Speak for yourself thebees, I for one love camera obscurers, and the obscura at Glastonbury is always full of people going "Ooh and aah" ain't it?

Can one still see the Devils armchair from the obscura? It was a place, in my youth where young lovers would spoon the summer evenings away (sometimes the lady would swoon if a gentleman noticed her well turned ankle peeking neath her petticoats.

Ah how well I remember the good old days.

Beware those who would spoon within the confines of the obsura though, the ticket seller can see all in the darkness.

I spoke to the Mayor of Douglas today.

I told him that the camera was a great asset to the town and notwithstanding holiday makers the locals would use it too.

I told him that as so many folk visit Douglas Head to have their packed lunches to admire the views and tranquility, it was shameful that no toilets had been built there. Also it was disgusting that the DLGE had allowed planning permission for those horrible flats to be built on the site of the old Foggies restaurant. There should be a cafe their with public toilets.

The Mayor agreed with me. So I said why not put a port- a- loo up there for the public and he told me that the DOT and the DLGE would not allow it. He then vanished to avoid debating the matter further.

Where the hell is Tourist Minister Cretney here? There is more to tourism than motor bikes David!

What a complete shambles.

A major tourist and heritage aspect restored on one of the most beautiful sites in Britain with no public conveniences yet a block of expensive high rise flats replacing a former restaurant.

Another Manx Government cock up.

And people wonder why I am so anti-establishment?

Back, when I was a young thrusting buck, the hours I spent on Douglas head wooing young ladies.

To start we would appreciate the concerts in the theatre, how we laughed at the black and white minstrals, then a stroll to the arcade, the frivolity we had on the Penny slots (d not p) then to the headland to enchant the lady. A tram ride to Port Soderick, where a picnic could be had for just a few pence, then back to the Palace lido, where you could take your paramour in your arms and sweep her around the floor.

Oh how I miss those bygone days

vadar, you're taking all the romance out of this aren't you?

This damn thing was on the bottom of broadway originally and I suspect that if the Net had of been going then many people would have shouted about it being moved.

Of course there are toilet facilities! Go across the road to MR, say you are a mate of Stu Peters and you can use theirs.

Otherwise, micturate in public and say you're talking part in a marathon (It worked for Paula Radcliffe)

Do you folk want a decent tourist industry or not?

That is the question.

The people, volunteers, manning the camera have no loo. If Manx Heritage or whoever runs the thing actually put them on the pay roll the place could not open without toilet facilities for staff.

Zephyr, can you imagine all the people on Douglas head calling into Manx Radio requesting to use their toilet?

Whether you like it or not and whoever anyone is to blame the whole fiasco at Douglas Head is a major cock up and displays the authorities not communicating with each other and no collective planning in advance.

As a result we have Dandy Dara building flats on a beauty site for profit at the expense of tourism and heritage. And MLC Pam Crowe agreed all this while in power as the Minister. The DLGE was responsible for the camera and the flats.

No wonder Corkill rescued her into the LEGCO to save her butt.

Archived