Camera Obscura

Ripsaw

Why can't things be a work in progress? It's a little curiosity, fun to visit once or twice. It's not like it takes an hour to go round.

If it turns out to be ridiculously popular the toilets, hot dog van etc will follow.

Do you want toilets and an 'interpretation centre' at Cashtal ny Ard too?

(Please excuse the spelling!)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For goodness sake vadar. If we complained about everything that's happened on the Isle we would be limited to St Georges church, there would be no more.

I grew up in Dgls and find that most of the expansion appears to me to be extravagant Then again I won't be here in 70 years and I'm sure my kids will say the same thing when their land is built on.

As for a tourist industry, IT'S GONE!

Why can't things be a work in progress?  It's a little curiosity, fun to visit once or twice. It's not like it takes an hour to go round.

If it turns out to be ridiculously popular the toilets, hot dog van etc will follow. 

I think with proper planning Douglas Head could become a major land mark. The view is free. It is so often visited by hundreds of Manxies let alone tourists.

As for hot dog vans following etc. that is the same philosophy that Government has regarding new housing estates. Build the things first and the roads and infrastrusture afterwards. You really want such mickey mouse planning?

Zephyr says As for a tourist industry, IT'S GONE!

No it aint. Such negativity. I really am surpised.

Why can't things be a work in progress?  It's a little curiosity, fun to visit once or twice. It's not like it takes an hour to go round.

I think with proper planning Douglas Head could become a major land mark. The view is free. It is so often visited by hundreds of Manxies let alone tourists.

As for hot dog vans following etc. that is the same philosophy that Government has regarding new housing estates. Build the things first and the roads and infrastrusture afterwards. You really want such mickey mouse planning?

Zephyr says As for a tourist industry, IT'S GONE!

No it aint. Such negativity. I really am surpised.

I agree, the tourist industry hasn't GONE. It remains in a vastly reduced and very different form. The question now is whether it is a benefit or a drain on the local economy. Judging by the amounts of money spent on ludicrous and totally inept advertising and the failure - over several decades - to invest in any genuine tourist-friendly infrastructure, it appears to be the latter.

and the obscura at Glastonbury is always full of people going "Ooh and aah" ain't it?

You mean there is one there????? Wow(now thats amazing 10. It'll be in Lost Vagueness then, I never go there in the day time :ph34r: I did oooh and ahh at a double rainbow at 4.00am one morning on my way back home/the tent.

No wonder teenagers are the way people seem to think they are - listen to yourselves - Vandalism, moaning about nothing to do - does anybody ever take any notice of them?? I said it when I was young and my teenege friends say it now - so when are people going to listen? A disco at the Venue once a month is not enough.

Do you remember the Falcon Cliff? We all used to go there, a room for the children/teenagers and entertainment for adults in the back room. Theres nothing like that today - The Isle of Man is only good for coffin dodgers and members of the Victorian Society (fenella and the likes) - nothing for the young - probably because all our MHKS are relics or stoopid or cheap. Grrr grrr grrr.

and the obscura at Glastonbury is always full of people going "Ooh and aah" ain't it?

Do you remember the Falcon Cliff? We all used to go there, a room for the children/teenagers and entertainment for adults in the back room. Theres nothing like that today - The Isle of Man is only good for coffin dodgers and members of the Victorian Society (fenella and the likes) - nothing for the young - probably because all our MHKS are relics or stoopid or cheap. Grrr grrr grrr.

Oy I'm a member of the vic soc, and the antiquarians, and only 25!!!! Can also think of a few other people of the same age who are. I also know how to party - very hard. I can also find plenty of things to do whether mentally or physically stimulating. But 9/10 times I have to make/go after those opportunities myself, they're not put on a plate.

Perhaps if you got off your @rse and did something, rather than just sitting in front of a computer whining that there's nothing to do, then you'd find out there's no lack of things for young people to do. Let me list some if you really can't think of any:-

Skatepark

Football, Rugby, tennis, badminton, cricket.

Cycling, running, walking, athletics

Climbing, Swimming, Kayaking, Surfing

Cinema, Reading, Disco

Scouts, Guides, ACF/ATC/SCF/CCF, Youth Club, St Johns Ambulance

tram, train bus trip to somewhere you haven't been before

Visit a museum, Art Gallery, etc.

Clubs + Societies to do with things you are interested in.

etc, etc, I really can't be bothered to list them all.

Of course there's the two main ones:-

Concentrate on your school work, and get a job so you can afford to pay for you to have fun.

And stop complaining about having nothing to do, when in fact you've probably got a lot more opportunities than you'll ever have at any other age, and get out there and grab them. Keep an open mind, try anything, and don't just dismiss it as "too boring".

Oops almost forgot, use your spare time to find things to do.

What I'd give to be young again. Now I have to make my opportunities to do the things I enjoy, rather than just getting things on a plate.

Ammended - I thought you were only a kid when I read your posting, but infact I realise you have to be a lot older. Never the less, there's still plenty to do on the IOM. How you haven't realised this at your age, I don't know?

Archived