Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karran knew that Bell would probably get the required majority but was hell bent on making it clear that he means to start the next administration where he left off..... being a pain in the arse......albeit using unconventional tactics. He'll be firing on all cylinders from now on and, as I said previously, there will be more of that to come.

There's a difference between being a thorn in the side of government, which Karran does, and being a pain in the arse to the rest of us, which is what Beecroft has done.

Whatever the modus operandi of LVP it's important that we have scrutiny. I'll admit that PK is perhaps not the most coherent when it comes to getting the point across or looking to right wrongs but right now no one else is prepared to politick on the voters behalf.

This morning's sitting proved that LVP have laid out their stall, the whole thing was stage managed and no one liked it. For those that are hankering after party politics then this is where it starts (albeit with a minority) and it's likely to get rougher and possibly more personal than anything that's gone before in Tynwald. Madam President & Mr. Speaker will have their work cut out ensuring an even balance is maintained.

Standing Orders

Irrelevance, repetition

3.31 In case of continued irrelevance or tedious repetition on the part of a

Member, the President may caution the Member and, in the event of

such caution being disregarded, the President may direct the Member

to discontinue speaking.

I have just had look through Standing Orders and cannot find anything which says that an address nominating an election candidate has to take a particular form.

Anyone care to challenge this point?

Yes, I'll challenge it. Peter's nomination speeches were disrespectful to his opponent and the patience of the House. They were disrespectful of procedure and protocol, formality and occasion. It was the wrong time, wrong place to be making political speeches, was breath-takingly ill-judged for those listening, and for those who have a lot of respect and sympathy for Peter's politics and character. It was a schoolboy level stunt not worthy of a party who seek the people's support, and displayed a naivety and inexperience rarely or never before seen in the court of Tynwald. LibVan managed the trick this morning of actually taking votes off Peter, and perhaps only they or a magician could have managed that.

http://www.energyfm....ory_173756.html

Karran proud of Beecrofts nomination speech.

Course he is as he or his backer probably wrote it.

That is probably why Beecroft had such a problem with Madam Presidents requests. Also you got the feeling that she was not even allowed to make a decision about going to the loo without getting PK's approval first.

I am no fan of Malarkey but one point I remember from the Manx Radio debate was how PK instructed him how he should vote during a budget debate. If the LVP members are not allowed to think for themselves rather than do PK's bidding I think it will implode in due course.

That is probably why Beecroft had such a problem with Madam Presidents requests. Also you got the feeling that she was not even allowed to make a decision about going to the loo without getting PK's approval first.

I am no fan of Malarkey but one point I remember from the Manx Radio debate was how PK instructed him how he should vote during a budget debate. If the LVP members are not allowed to think for themselves rather than do PK's bidding I think it will implode in due course.

This would be the same Peter Karran who objects so strongly to collective responsibility among ministers, and the chief minister giving voting direction?

Ok I've not listened to the speech. I am concerned from the reports that the President kept interrupting a nomination speech. No matter how bad it was a nominator should be allowed to state the case she wishes to make. It's not for the President to determine relevancy or restrict her arguement. Is it?

Ok I've not listened to the speech. I am concerned from the reports that the President kept interrupting a nomination speech. No matter how bad it was a nominator should be allowed to state the case she wishes to make. It's not for the President to determine relevancy or restrict her arguement. Is it?

As presiding officer it is her job to ensure standing orders are not breached, and to rule when a member raises a point of order. Members complained, it was in breach of standing orders and Beecroft was advised to modify her address to focus on her candidate. Despite all this, Beecroft was allowed to complete her prepared (by someone else I'd imagine) statement. Listening back, I'll bet she wishes she hadn't.

This would be the same Peter Karran who objects so strongly to collective responsibility among ministers, and the chief minister giving voting direction?

Possibly. It may though be the one who demands that if MHK's leave the LVP they resign and seek reelection just as I am sure he did when he left the Labour Party to become an independent and when he stopped being an independent to set up the LVP.

If it is not that one it might be the one calling for openness and honesty who nominated Dick Horsnall, the parties apparent backer and campaign manager, to be an MLC without from memory disclosing the links the LVP had with Dick Horsnall.

As an aside a Google search of Dick Horsnell + UKIP does produce some interesting reading!

Archived