Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is probably why Beecroft had such a problem with Madam Presidents requests. Also you got the feeling that she was not even allowed to make a decision about going to the loo without getting PK's approval first.

I am no fan of Malarkey but one point I remember from the Manx Radio debate was how PK instructed him how he should vote during a budget debate. If the LVP members are not allowed to think for themselves rather than do PK's bidding I think it will implode in due course.

This would be the same Peter Karran who objects so strongly to collective responsibility among ministers, and the chief minister giving voting direction?

Possibly. It may though be the one who demands that if MHK's leave the LVP they resign and seek reelection just as I am sure he did when he left the Labour Party to become an independent and when he stopped being an independent to set up the LVP.

If it is not that one it might be the one calling for openness and honesty who nominated Dick Horsnall, the parties apparent backer and campaign manager, to be an MLC without from memory disclosing the links the LVP had with Dick Horsnall.

As an aside a Google search of Dick Horsnell + UKIP does produce some interesting reading!

sounds like he'd be perfect as a minister

Ok I've not listened to the speech. I am concerned from the reports that the President kept interrupting a nomination speech. No matter how bad it was a nominator should be allowed to state the case she wishes to make. It's not for the President to determine relevancy or restrict her arguement. Is it?

Listen or read and you might change your mind as it was not a nomination speech in my opinion.

Well I just sat down to my lunch to watch the whole thing on telly but there was nothing on the BBC regional news at 1.30. Not even a mention that Bell was made CM!

That can't be right - Terse told us the UK press would be all over this groundbreaking story, and I quote...

Once Bell is anointed, the UK press will have a field day recalling some of things he's been responsible for in the past and using it as proof-positive that this island of ours inevitably rewards corruption and deceit.

So a new member fell foul of an obscure and vague standing order and the old lags were quick to bleat to the President. And the President was quick to slap her hand and give pk another item for his list of grievances.

Like I've said I've not heard the speech but it'd need to be pretty extreme to justify an interruption from the President.

Well I just sat down to my lunch to watch the whole thing on telly but there was nothing on the BBC regional news at 1.30. Not even a mention that Bell was made CM!

That can't be right - Terse told us the UK press would be all over this groundbreaking story, and I quote...

Once Bell is anointed, the UK press will have a field day recalling some of things he's been responsible for in the past and using it as proof-positive that this island of ours inevitably rewards corruption and deceit.

Maybe we should point out the past "achievements" to the press - can't exactly see the big dailies across having a 24/7 "IOM Watch" in place...

So a new member fell foul of an obscure and vague standing order and the old lags were quick to bleat to the President. And the President was quick to slap her hand and give pk another item for his list of grievances.

Like I've said I've not heard the speech but it'd need to be pretty extreme to justify an interruption from the President.

I am not sure extreme is the correct word but she was requested to speak in support of her nominating PK for CM. Unfortunatly that is not what she chose to do.

Now if you are meant to be speaking about topic A but instead speak about Topic B how far do you let it go. As I said listen or read the speach and then make a decision

The President was disgraceful. Bullying, humourless, sour, propping up the old regime.

Disagree. Beecroft was meant to be speaking in support of her nominations of PK for CM. She chose not to do that. The President requested on numerous occasions requested that she speak in support of her nominated candidate however Beecroft was either unwilling or unable to do that.

I have just had look through Standing Orders and cannot find anything which says that an address nominating an election candidate has to take a particular form.

Anyone care to challenge this point?

Yes, I'll challenge it. Peter's nomination speeches were disrespectful to his opponent and the patience of the House. They were disrespectful of procedure and protocol, formality and occasion. It was the wrong time, wrong place to be making political speeches, was breath-takingly ill-judged for those listening, and for those who have a lot of respect and sympathy for Peter's politics and character. It was a schoolboy level stunt not worthy of a party who seek the people's support, and displayed a naivety and inexperience rarely or never before seen in the court of Tynwald. LibVan managed the trick this morning of actually taking votes off Peter, and perhaps only they or a magician could have managed that.

+1

I'd say that today's episode episode revealed what most already knew or suspected. The LibVans are unable to be anything other than a party of opposition.

Unable, or incapable, of lauding the virtues of their leader, they chose (or were directed) to attack his opponent.

Their negativity will ultimately be their undoing.

There is room in our system for at least one party - but it will have to be one that has clear policies that it wishes to promote, not merely a single policy of opposing everything that the current government proposes.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that neither man was right for the job but, in the end, we can only hope that it will work out after selecting the lesser of two potential disasters.

Archived