Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well we will see what unravels come next Tynwald 18th Oct,the question paper looks interesting.

My own personal view is,IF we would have had the LG in charge instead of a Ramsey reject,there would have been more decorum,both maiden speechs would have been allowed to continue,and the thugs on Legco would have been silenced,they are really the ones who brought the Tynwald Court into dis-repute.

I think with Tuesdays performance,it's time to call and end to El Presidente and her bunch of un-elected dinosaurs,let's for once have a one democratically elected House of Keys.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed

They are not wanted and they are not respected. They need to be removed. An anachronism that doesn't sit well with the concept of modern democracy.

Now regarding http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=55416

I find this bit disturbing

The Isle of Man’s new Chief Minister has vowed to head a ‘united government’ which is intolerant of in-fighting.

Allan Bell made the pledge, minutes after being chosen as the man to lead the Manx government for the next five years.

Is this or can it be suspected of being a notice of intent indicating we're in for another 5 years of Brown style 'MEA shops will stay open regardless' type leadership?

Where all dissent is ignored in favour of the glorious leaders personal vision?

, once again being the party of pointing out what's wrong

The unfortunate reality behind that is that someone has to. Most of the other MHK's, Ministers and Legco are patting each other on the backs and saying how well they've done and what a good job they've been doing.

No-one, except the Libvan it seems, has the balls or any ounce of loyalty to the electorate, to stand up and remind the house about Allan Bells foul ups, shady dealings and misinforming Tynwald. Instead, they elected him adhoc instead. Neither P Karran or A Bell are up to the job and spoilt papers could have shown that.

Fine, except you didn't complete the quote, which concluded 'without offering solutions'.

The two salient points are still valid:

1. Deciding what is relevant or not is subjective. The posts in this thread prove the point.

2. How do you know how relevant a point is if you don't let them get to the end of what they're saying? A tortuous and seeming AT THE TIME to be a not very relevant route might be the ONLY way they can get there. But unless you let them finish - you'll never know! Some of the great orators used to take the most circuitous of routes but it was worth it in the end. A bit like the first few hundred pages of Captain Corelli's Mandolin I suppose....

Are they running a government or a circus here? Because the distinctions are blurring....

Hard to argue with that point but again I would apply it to many parties in the house. I wish it would improve but I fear that it is not going to judging from this week. Hopefully all sides will learn to get there points across in a civilised way but I fear that there are some on all sides are more concerned about making headlines about themselves than making their point. I fear this week was a classic example because as I said several times it would have been easy for the LVP to have made the points they wanted without getting pulled up. It was simply a matter of drafting so that praise for their own was mixed with critisism of AB. They appear though to have chosen to present their speeches in a way that was virtually sure to get them pulled up which as I say leads me to believe the primary purpose on Tuesday was not to critisise Bell but to cause a reaction and get themselves noticed.

You're right of course. I'm of the opinion that the whole farrago is rotten to the core and as you say some seem to go out of their way to prove it.

However anyone who has ever been in sales will tell you that running down the opposition is a very risky strategy. Because the Billy Bunter might start thinking "What are they afraid of?" and start looking to try and find it. It would be nice to think that there are interesting and more importantly politically healthy times ahead. But somehow I doubt it...

PK - whilst not classing Eddie Lowey as a great orator, he has certainly taken a few circuitous routes of his own in Tynwald. In fact when Eddie starts off by saying "I wasn`t going to speak in this debate....." it is a clear signal to get up and make a cup of tea, not to mention prepare lunch and peel the potatoes for dinner.

PK - whilst not classing Eddie Lowey as a great orator, he has certainly taken a few circuitous routes of his own in Tynwald. In fact when Eddie starts off by saying "I wasn`t going to speak in this debate....." it is a clear signal to get up and make a cup of tea, not to mention prepare lunch and peel the potatoes for dinner.

hahaha and eat the lunch and wash the dishes

"i wasnt going to speak in this debate".......closely followed by "i can remember a time in the dim and distant past" and it really is time to switch the radio off.

that or face a volley tedious anecdotes including his involvement in the great wurlitzer debate, how the people of ballasalla are a hardy bunch, the grim old days when the treasury was waiting on martin baker's to pay their tax bill before attributing funds( and that really was hard time mr president!!), a teary eyed reminicise about his days snaring rabbits as a youth on the airfield or his opus as he recalls riding "the little poofer" from ballasalla into castletown

Was there no one else who would second Allan Bell's nomination other than a fresh-freshed backbencher?

The fact that he got a newly elected MHK to support him rather than one of the old-guard arguably shows

a) he [bell] is keen not just to rely on those who with in the Keys with him last time round and

b) is far more politically savvy than you are by showing he *can* get one of the new MHKs onboard

On this point, presumably Alf Cannan will carry on where his dear old dad left off and be parochial and generally in opposition, Hall and Beecroft were out, which left Skelly, Ronan and H. Quayle to approach.

Was there no one else who would second Allan Bell's nomination other than a fresh-freshed backbencher?

The fact that he got a newly elected MHK to support him rather than one of the old-guard arguably shows

a) he [bell] is keen not just to rely on those who with in the Keys with him last time round and

b) is far more politically savvy than you are by showing he *can* get one of the new MHKs onboard

On this point, presumably Alf Cannan will carry on where his dear old dad left off and be parochial and generally in opposition, Hall and Beecroft were out, which left Skelly, Ronan and H. Quayle to approach.

Well said about Bell, I am disappointed that Alf (was that not the name of an alien on a kids TV show years ago?) Cannan saw fit to vote against a public vote for the CM, of the ones that voted that way I can get my head around why most did but not AC or JW, any ideas?

LibVan MHKs are ‘national heroes’ – Karran - hmmm ok Peter keep taking the pills

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn) There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)- The Byrds

He said Liberal Vannin would accept a position in the government if certain conditions were met. But that no approach had been made despite Mr Bell’s offer to Liberal Vannin to work with him.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/libvan_mhks_are_national_heroes_karran_1_3869113

Web Poll

Friday, 14 October 2011

What did you think of Kate Beecroft’s controversial speech when she nominated Peter Karran for chief minister in Tynwald on Tuesday?

It was a brilliant speech and the president of Tynwald was wrong to interrupt. 2400 (29%)

It was a disaster and has cost Liberal Vannin any support it had from other MHKs. 5946 (71%)

It was dull. 21 (0%)

No Option For

Such was the power of her speech that I was moved in turn from tears of joy to moments of darkest depair.

Oh how I weep through the long winter nights when sleep eludes me that I could not even in my finest hour pen a line to stand equal to a single majestic word that surely the muses must have inspired in her.

And now yet her voice is stilled, still yet I yearn in vain hope to hear more.

I suppose not

Well said about Bell, I am disappointed that Alf (was that not the name of an alien on a kids TV show years ago?) Cannan saw fit to vote against a public vote for the CM, of the ones that voted that way I can get my head around why most did but not AC or JW, any ideas?

Is it possible that those who voted against this were planning to "check" the Bell rollercoaster but didn't want to do this publicly ? But otherwise I wouldn't read too much in to it. Having said that, all those who voted for were either Karran supporters or Bell Supporters - does this mean that Cannan, Watterson, Quayle, Rodan to name four were slightly unsure of their ground on this ? I wouldn't regard these four as stupid......they all came in strongly at the polls........so either they are unsure of Bell or they felt that an open vote was going to be discriminatory. Whatever, more to the point Karran must be kicking himself for asking for this..........It was just dumb from his point of view and now, God help us, he is a Minister.

Archived