Eu Referendum

Nom de plume

Or lack of it if Cameron, Clague & Milliband have their way.

Do I care that the markets maybe de-stabilised if it goes ahead?

William Hague says it's the wrong time ... Jesus wept, the patronising ****.

I presume the right time will be when Europe has been rescued and we are exporting gazillions worth of product within the 'zone' ...

I don't think you would have to be a rocket scientist to make an assumption on how the British Public would vote right now & that is what is scaring them. To call a three line whip is bordering on dictatorial.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I would be one of the first to agree that there should have been a referendum on Europe years ago, it is certainly the wrong time for one now IMO. The great media led British unwashed would probably vote for withdrawal at this stage, though unfortunately I fear this would all be based on: little general understanding of how their economy works; how reliant the UK economy actually is on Europe; xenophobia; and the illusion that isolation and protectionism 'would see the UK right'.

The priority now is to sort out the European debt crisis, as failure to do so, in conjunction with the UK and USA debt crisis, could lead to a major depression. People need to understand the actual depth of the debt abyss the western world currently faces. If the UK were to lock itself out of the union, there would be few crumbs left on offer from the European table to facilitate growth for the UK economy. And what would be the impact on western economies of other countries followed the UK?

Playing politics at such a time as this is a very dangerous game. Current priorities are wholly different.

Albert, whilst I agree with your sentiment, this referendum would not be about leaving the EU but more about repatriating powers & law making decisions back to London. Nothing could be done before 2014 anyway.

Not how I understand it, I thought they said they were after a referendum option: 'leave completely' as one of three options. Either way, I still think any referendum would send all the wrong signals and add major uncertainty to the market, trading partners etc. etc. That's one of the last things we need at the moment IMO.

There is no reason to ever have a referendum about anything because govts are elected to govern. (Or else every decision should be put to a referendum.)

Govts only ever hold a referendum as a way of diverting attention from their inability to agree policy (like in 1973). In which case they should call a general election and not a referendum.

Who cares what signals it sends to the markets. What we're seeing in Greece at the moment is a sovereign country losing its sovereignty, as the juggernaut of a 'United States of Europe' carries on apace, with the banksters who created the debt in the first place coming in to take their crown jewels.

Of course they now want to change the treaty, this is what they have wanted right from the start, a major crisis calls for unprecedented measures, which they will try to drive through whether the public want it or not. The best thing Greece can do right now is continue their strikes, stick two fingers up at the IMF and then start to collapse the very same banks who are lined up waiting to take their prizes. Do we want to be a part of this while it implodes?? Of course it will affect us as it will affect every person on the planet but right now the system is bankrupt and needs to go. No pain no gain.

Who cares what signals it sends to the markets. What we're seeing in Greece at the moment is a sovereign country losing its sovereignty, as the juggernaut of a 'United States of Europe' carries on apace, with the banksters who created the debt in the first place coming in to take their crown jewels.

Of course they now want to change the treaty, this is what they have wanted right from the start, a major crisis calls for unprecedented measures, which they will try to drive through whether the public want it or not. The best thing Greece can do right now is continue their strikes, stick two fingers up at the IMF and then start to collapse the very same banks who are lined up waiting to take their prizes. Do we want to be a part of this while it implodes?? Of course it will affect us as it will affect every person on the planet but right now the system is bankrupt and needs to go. No pain no gain.

Sorry, wrong planet. You *really* don't understand what happened, do you?

Crystal clear sunshine. Do you?

There is no reason to ever have a referendum about anything because govts are elected to govern. (Or else every decision should be put to a referendum.)

Govts only ever hold a referendum as a way of diverting attention from their inability to agree policy (like in 1973). In which case they should call a general election and not a referendum.

Agreed, but when a Government promises the electorate a referendum prior to the election, that's what the electorate expect ... Now is the perfect time.

Actually, I believe he called that exactly as it's happened and is happening.

Well ... the banks have been poorly regulated for years, and by who ... that's right, the respective Governments. Yet who controls the Governments? ... Dig deep my friends, not too deep mind & you'll uncover the truth in all this.

Do some reading around the Federal Reserve Bank in the US and the BOE closer to home. Disturbing ...

Banks and governments go hand in hand, they aren't some separate entities like some people like to believe. Central banks and governments work in tandem, and to a different script than the one most believe when they read the mainstream press. What kind of agenda do you think Mervyn King et al are following with their 0% interest rates and the printing of more fake funny money?? It certainly isn't in the best interests of the public, who see inflation rise, the value of the pound in their pocket falling month on month and their pensions eroded by more fiat dumped into the system, of which only a trickle reaches the high street.

What we are seeing is a script being played out on the world stage, and one which doesn't have a happy ending for the likes of me and you and our finances.

as a supplementary ...

Hat's off to 'Board Favourite' Richard Murphy on his attendance at Occupy London. I'm loving their work.

I'm just waiting for these movements to politicised, which is when then they disintegrate. The whole movement should be outside of politics, as politics has failed us thus far.

Archived