Eu Referendum

Nom de plume

Yep, Lxxx is correct except for one thing - the debt was created by governments, not banks. Banks are being used as the scapegoat.

I think both government and banks are to blame. The Greek government bloated the civil and public service and paid salaries and wages (and pensions and benefits) well above the odds, and the banks sent good money after bad to keep funding it all.

This island island faces a similar problem IMO, a government bloated civil and public service paying salaries and wages (and pensions and benefits) well above the odds, maybe not funded by banks, but previously funded by the £180M per annum additional VAT revenue we no longer have.

We are only one or two years from facing a similar situation to Greece ourselves, unless immediate action is taken to reduce our own bloated civil and public service. Putting taxes up (especially corporate taxes) will devastate the businesses we do have here and sink us totally.

Get used to the word 'austerity' over the next 5 years here folks! It's a coming! We'll all be receiving a bit of Greek from Mr Bell.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, Lxxx is correct except for one thing - the debt was created by governments, not banks. Banks are being used as the scapegoat.

I think both government and banks are to blame. The Greek government bloated the civil and public service and paid salaries and wages (and pensions and benefits) well above the odds, and the banks sent good money after bad to keep funding it all.

This island island faces a similar problem IMO, a government bloated civil and public service paying salaries and wages (and pensions and benefits) well above the odds, maybe not funded by banks, but previously funded by the £180M per annum additional VAT revenue we no longer have.

We are only one or two years from facing a similar situation to Greece ourselves, unless immediate action is taken to reduce our own bloated civil and public service. Putting taxes up (especially corporate taxes) will devastate the businesses we do have here and sink us totally.

Get used to the word 'austerity' over the next 5 years here folks! It's a coming!

All european governments were following the same agenda, now whether some people think it's a leap of faith too far to think that they were doing it all in unison so we get to where we are now is another story, but that fact is they all set out on the same path, with the same policies, with the same lax regulations, with the same international banks cosying up to them in the process.

Major world crises like this don't happen by accident, they are decades in the planning and decades in the making. You don't have to be an economist to see this day has been coming for a long time, and now we're here expect some major plans to be rolled out as if they've just been agreed upon in haste, when in reality they've been fine-tuned for the past 25 years.

Oh and don't expect the IOM govnmt to do anything radically different to what everyone else is doing, they can't be seen to be setting a good example by heading this off at the pass and cutting unnecessary spending now while it's still acceptable to do so. They still take the lead from the UK, and I agree, austerity is coming soon to this island just like everywhere else. It's tighten your belts time, as it's not even got started yet. Once we get the first european bank run, and we will, then we'll see the smelly stuff really hit the oscillator.

Get used to the word 'austerity' over the next 5 years here folks! It's a coming!

All european governments were following the same agenda, now whether some people think it's a leap of faith too far to think that they were doing it all in unison so we get to where we are now is another story, but that fact is they all set out on the same path, with the same policies, with the same lax regulations, with the same international banks cosying up to them in the process.

Sorry, but I think you are talking out of your arse.

Have a read of this for a better insight.

So the basis of your argument is a Wikipedia article? You couldn't even articulate your own thoughts so you thought you'd do it the lazy way and pick up someone else's script and give them as an example of your own views.....and we wonder why a lot of people are unemployable nowadays.

Try a bit of critical thinking and develop your right brain pal, but actually by doing that it might scare you so don't bother.

So the basis of your argument is a Wikipedia article? You couldn't even articulate your own thoughts so you thought you'd do it the lazy way and pick up someone else's script and give them as an example of your own views.....and we wonder why a lot of people are unemployable nowadays.

Try a bit of critical thinking and develop your right brain pal, but actually by doing that it might scare you so don't bother.

It's just one site that gives some explanation. You want 20 pages of links and me to post you some of my books?

My point was, the problem is far more indepth than some blase quasi governmental-bank conspiratorial comment made by you.

Do your own research, but do it properly. The basis of my argument is not subject to my educating you.

At no point did I say my ONE sentence summed up the whole crisis. You took that as your cue to get on your high horse and spout off about me talking out of my arse. Yes individual countries took their own paths but they were all broadly of the same agenda, borrow lots of money cheaply and spend even more of it, and then if we get a crisis, print even more of it. Of course it was going to hit the buffers eventually, and it has.

I'll pass on your offer of education, I have been researching global politics and economics for years, but not using the type of information you get from the mainstream media. Strip all the superfluous nonsense away and you get a common theme running through everything that has been occurring over the past 25 years.....and we are where sensible economists and commentators have been saying we've been heading for a long, long time.

At no point did I say my ONE sentence summed up the whole crisis.

I think you'll find if you read your sentence again, it fairly well does say exactly that.

My point is that there are a number of different reasons for this crisis, and not all European governments followed the same path. That's a fact which requires no horse, but if you want to be an uninformed ass, feel free.

At no point did I say my ONE sentence summed up the whole crisis.

I think you'll find if you read your sentence again, it fairly well does say exactly that.

My point is that there are a number of different reasons for this crisis, and not all European governments followed the same path. That's a fact which requires no horse, but if you want to be an uninformed ass, feel free.

It's a one sentence summary, and I'll stick by the content 100%. Of course there are peripheral factors in the cases of each country, but every country is more or less in the same situation, give or take a trillion here or there. Does that not indicate there must have been a common theme in the policies in each of the countries, or should we believe that they all followed there own path but somehow all found themselves in the same boat, facing the same challenges, and now all embarking on the same austerity measures.

I'd like to see the odds of them all arriving at the same point at the same time if they truly were all following their independant paths, but the fact is they weren't. The Fed, the ECB and each of the individual central banks all take a similar lead, and the puppets in power of each of the countries dance along to the same tune.

If you wish to think what's happening is just the unfortunate way the cookie has crumbled then it's not me who's looking like the uninformed ass is it?

One of the best books which sums this whole charade up is 'Confessions Of An Economic Hitman' by John Perkins. Outlines the increasing impotence of countries in favour of the power of corporations and their own private agendas.

Isn't it strange how conspiracy theory nutters always put up "evidence" that comes from other conspiracy theory nutters?

It's almost like a conspiracy...

Isn't it strange how conspiracy theory nutters always put up "evidence" that comes from other conspiracy theory nutters?

It's almost like a conspiracy...

Intelligent comments as usual P.K. You never fail to disappoint.

Archived