Silly House Problems

crumlin

Douglas Corporation have had new flats built in Lord Street Douglas by Dandara. They have been completed about six weeks now but are not being given to new tennants. The reason is aleged to be that someone forgot to allow for drying areas to the flats, this has resulted in someone having to pay for alterations to the kitchens and installing new Washer/dryer machines. The lost rents could of paid for the machines by now.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's terrible. A mistake, you say? I bet it was a deliberate crafty conspiracy.

The mayor, the councillors and the entire government should definitely resign.

With luck the international press corp will arrive on the next Seacat. No one will ever want to do business here again.

The flats on Lord Street were reported to be in a terrible state. Window frames were rotten with danger of glass falling out, the rooms were damp, etc., etc..

Douglas Corpy were reluctant to spend on non essential maintenance or modernisation when replacements were considered a more cost effective alternative.

This was a couple of years ago, so it can be assumed that they only got worse in the interim period.

Not sure if 'slum' is the correct discription, but I wouldn't have been keen on living in one of them.

It may have been revisited, I haven't touched a paper for a few weeks.

There is an article in IOM Onlines archives (although that one doesn't go into specifics of the condition:

CALLS have been made for the Lord Street flats in Douglas to be demolished.

Councillors claim the flats are an eyesore and believe they should be knocked down and rebuilt.

Rodney Clarke (Hill's ward), who has decided not to stand at next month's elections, said: 'These flats are a blot on the landscape. It looks like Victorian times. They are long past their sell-by date. Get them knocked down and let's have something new in their place.'

David Christian (Hill's) agreed, claiming it wasn't just homes in Lord Street but also properties in James Street and King Street that needed to be rebuilt.

'They are not modern living accommodation,' he said.

Full story in today's Isle of Man Examiner.

15 March 2004

It may have been revisited, I haven't touched a paper for a few weeks.

There is an article in IOM Onlines archives (although that one doesn't go into specifics of the condition: 

CALLS have been made for the Lord Street flats in Douglas to be demolished.

Councillors claim the flats are an eyesore and believe they should be knocked down and rebuilt.

Rodney Clarke (Hill's ward), who has decided not to stand at next month's elections, said: 'These flats are a blot on the landscape. It looks like Victorian times. They are long past their sell-by date. Get them knocked down and let's have something new in their place.'

David Christian (Hill's) agreed, claiming it wasn't just homes in Lord Street but also properties in James Street and King Street that needed to be rebuilt.

'They are not modern living accommodation,' he said.

Full story in today's Isle of Man Examiner.

15 March 2004

THEY WOULD IF THEY COULD BUT THE CORPY ARE SKINT :o

Driving through Lord Street one views the high rise old flats that people live in.

The Street is an absolute disgrace by modern standards.

The whole goddamned place should be pulled down, not to build new flats but for office accomodation.

People with families should be in houses and have gardens. Not living in the disgrace that Lord Street is, whether old or new flats.

If the authorities provide people with decent houses then in the main tenants will keep them nice.

But I think collectively the Douglas Corporation is a bunch of morons. Still headed by "rent a mouth" David Christian. Ex Council leader wannabe MHK!

Ha ha ha. :D

I rather like the look of those old flats - from the Lord Street side. They've always reminded me of German architecture.

I also thought that the old Douglas bus station was a classic structure which could have been refurbished for modern use.

EDIT:

People with families should be in houses and have gardens.

Nothing wrong with flats IMO. They can represent viable affordable living.

Archived