Uk Clocks Change Trial Being Considered

wheels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

The government is considering moving the UK's clocks forward by an hour for a three-year trial period.

Ministers are writing to counterparts in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to seek a UK-wide consensus on a trial.

It would see the UK adopt Central European Time, with BST plus one hour in summer and GMT plus one in winter.

Oooh they're not writing to us and we're in the middle!

I don't see how it's such a big deal for farmers. Surely they just start work when it starts to get light as the normally would. It might be an hour later but there will still be the same number of actual daylight hours. Or am I missing something from their argument? Any farmers care to enlighten us?

It was tried once before. According to RoSPA CET would save lives from RTA's. It was abandoned due to complaints from the agriculture sector, particularly scottish farmers.

Although how they got Highland Cattle to tell the time beats me...

To reduce crime, a random clock would be much better. It could be 8am, then 6.56pm, then 9.31pm, then 11.17am, then 3.04am etc. the time changing randomly once every minute of the day.

Criminals would then find it extremely difficult to know when people might not be home to burgle, they would not know when supermarkets were at the end of their working day and had most money in the tills, and it would be awkward for any gang to arrange a time to meet to do a 'job' or a 'raid' and collect 'swag' which I understand is burglar or raider terminology when they do crime.

Why on earth do we need double BST, just leave the clocks at BST all year round

...so a few Scottish farmers complain and we all suffer, then maybe the rest of us should complain more to not go back to GMT

No leave as is.

Every year we have those in the South East calling for this when the clocks go back. However look at the effects in the IoM in the Middle of December if it went ahead. Sunrise would be around 9:30am. Sun set just before 5.00pm

In London Sun Set would be similar Sunrise would be just after 9.00am. In Glasgow it could be 09:45

In reality nobody at work would notice the difference in the evening, but you would in the morning as we would all be getting to work whilst it was still dark. In addition whereas now schools start and finish whilst it is still light kids would be going to school in the dark. The only way I could see it working is if they also changed school hours so school started at say 10:00

If we went to double summertime then in June Sun would not set until nearly 11:00pm.

If people in the South East are unhappy about the current arrangements could I suggest a) they alter their working hours, b) do not have such long commutes or c) move

Archived