Ssd Updgrade - Awesomesauce!

Finally succumbed to the temptation of an SSD, the prices are pretty tasty now.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-009-CR&tool=3

Can't praise it enough TBH, Battlefield 3 loads about five times quicker than on my old hard drive, Windows boots in seconds, no hard drive grinding away, everything is damn near instantaneous.

Very impressive. I'm limited by the SATA-II bus in my PC (getting 285MB/s read, the bus maxes out at around 300MB/s theoretically), if you're on SATA-III then apparently the drive can hit around 550MB/s (!!!).

The 256-ers are still pretty expensive, but a 128GB should see you right if you keep it nice and lean for just OS/apps/games, and maintain a data drive in your PC or farm off that to a NAS or external hard drive.

FWIW I always use SSDs, I buy ~ 2 systems a year, most recently a nice little Lenovo 11.6" laptop + 120GB SDD.

One of my customers just bought a petabyte SSD array, sadly not from me! We can write at 1 gigabyte / second!

Finally succumbed to the temptation of an SSD, the prices are pretty tasty now.

http://www.overclock...D-009-CR&tool=3

Can't praise it enough TBH, Battlefield 3 loads about five times quicker than on my old hard drive, Windows boots in seconds, no hard drive grinding away, everything is damn near instantaneous.

Very impressive. I'm limited by the SATA-II bus in my PC (getting 285MB/s read, the bus maxes out at around 300MB/s theoretically), if you're on SATA-III then apparently the drive can hit around 550MB/s (!!!).

The 256-ers are still pretty expensive, but a 128GB should see you right if you keep it nice and lean for just OS/apps/games, and maintain a data drive in your PC or farm off that to a NAS or external hard drive.

I got a 120gb OCZ Agility 3 with my new build as the cost of platter drives is prohibitive at the minute. Have it hooked up via SATA III and its pretty impressive.

Just got W7 and BF3 installed on it at the minute.

2 SSD in RAID0

twice as fast smile.png

...and twice as likely to fail and you losing all of your stuff.

If your going to do RAID 0, a backup strategy is a must. I run a twice weekly image and a daily backup using a combination of Symantec System Recovery and Carbonite ... just in case.

I run 2 x 128GB Kingstons SSD's and get read speeds in HD Tune of 492MB's on SATAII

I do back up regularly

but SSDs are a lot more stable than HDD, no moving parts,

of course RAID1 is safer, but only having 1 drive needs backing up as well.

so no less safe than most people and fantastic performance

btw, dont forget to switch off disc defragging. Not recommended for SSDs

My desktop has a 128gb Crucial C300 and I love it.

Just ordered (a week ago and it's not ****ing here yet ffs!!) a 128gb Crucial M4 for my laptop (Acer 5750G) which will make it fly along.

M4 is the successor to the C300.

I VERY nearly bought a OCZ Vertex3 SSD but when I was researching them, even though the OCZ was notably faster than the M4, they seem to have a lot of bad press for reliability and the Sandforce controllers on them are not that well liked.

I mostly want fast for photo editing rather than gaming etc, so from what I could see the M4 is the weapon of choice whereas even with fairly quicker speeds the Vertex would soon start to slow down badly.

We'll see, but I'm sure it'll be dead fast either way, and to be fair I doubt I'd notice in real life the speed differences between the two, but hopefully gain from the reliability (allegedly) benefit.

One of my customers just bought a petabyte SSD array, sadly not from me! We can write at 1 gigabyte / second!

your customer is talking out of his arse

Actually you are: http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-fastest.html

And this customer is usually 12 to 24 months ahead of 'consumer' products. And has more aircraft carriers than you (there's a clue).

Archived