C.i. Vat Loophole Closing

wheels

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-15646470

The government is to change the tax rules that have allowed retailers to avoid paying VAT by sending goods from the Channel Islands.

Low Value Consignment Relief (LVCR) will not apply to goods sent from the Channel Islands to the UK from 1 April.

The loophole has been used increasingly in recent years by companies selling CDs and DVDs online, such as Play.com, Tesco and Amazon.

Jersey's Economic Development Minister claims over 1,700 people are employed in the fulfilment industry across the Channel Islands.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that Tesco, etc. pack and ship from the UK to CI and then back on the next boat, avoiding VAT and pocketing it. Little to do with the CI businesses which are really just cottage industries. So again it is big uk companies who have crushed small businesses. uk Taxman reckons £140M lost in VAT.

It is estimated that 40,000-60,000 work in this packing in UK. I wonder if the very much reduced amount of VAT they will receive as a result of this will pay for their dole?

I must be thicker than usual today. Because I can't imagine the likes of Tesco lobbying for this legislation.

Besides which you could have explained it in your post above n'est-ce pas? Any other offers anyone?

I must be thicker than usual today. Because I can't imagine the likes of Tesco lobbying for this legislation.

Besides which you could have explained it in your post above n'est-ce pas? Any other offers anyone?

I'm with you on this one.

I often think when reading reading Cambon's posts relating to the "offshore" world that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Reading his post I think that may be the case again as I can only make sense of his post if that is the case, however I prefer not to castigate because as you say his post appears to be very unclear and it would be wrong to based on a simple incorrect reading of what he has posted

......avoiding VAT and pocketing it.

I dont get how they are "pocketing" the VAT?

It isn't the VAT they are pocketing, it is the profits from selling goods for much less than high street shops, which have to pay VAT.

Mmm, not quite. It's the fact they can sell the goods at a lower price to the consumer than the high street shops because they don't have to charge 20% VAT to the consumer.

There's no VAT being pocketed. It just enables them to sell their goods cheaper.

I must be thicker than usual today.

I'm with you on this one.

So I AM thicker than usual today. I thought I was. Thanks for the confirmation....

Mind you, Cambon is the poster who thought a while back that gold was a bad risk.

The truth is that small jurisdictions on the fringes move from one loophole or tax or revenue saving scheme to the next, whether its exemption from CGT, Death Duties, CTT, IHT, VAT or captive Insurers, saving products, deposits with interest paid gross, flagging out or on line gaming via consultancy and other employment and payroll schemes.

Each has a limited life before the gap is plugged, only the first few in any field make money and they constantly have to work hard to invent and exploit the next one

......avoiding VAT and pocketing it.

I dont get how they are "pocketing" the VAT?

It isn't the VAT they are pocketing, it is the profits from selling goods for much less than high street shops, which have to pay VAT.

Mmm, not quite. It's the fact they can sell the goods at a lower price to the consumer than the high street shops because they don't have to charge 20% VAT to the consumer.

There's no VAT being pocketed. It just enables them to sell their goods cheaper.

erm, that's excatly what I said - they aren't pocketing VAT, but undercutting the high street and therefore shifting more units

The truth is that small jurisdictions on the fringes move from one loophole or tax or revenue saving scheme to the next .... Each has a limited life before the gap is plugged, only the first few in any field make money and they constantly have to work hard to invent and exploit the next one

That's no way to live.

Archived