C.i. Vat Loophole Closing

wheels

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that Tesco, etc. pack and ship from the UK to CI and then back on the next boat, avoiding VAT and pocketing it. Little to do with the CI businesses which are really just cottage industries. So again it is big uk companies who have crushed small businesses. uk Taxman reckons £140M lost in VAT.

It is estimated that 40,000-60,000 work in this packing in UK. I wonder if the very much reduced amount of VAT they will receive as a result of this will pay for their dole?

That's not really the point is it?

......avoiding VAT and pocketing it.

I dont get how they are "pocketing" the VAT?

I think the point he was making is that they are effectively supplying goods that are 20% cheaper by not paying VAT. They are probably not selling them at 20% less than companies that do pay VAT & so they are effectively pocketing atleast a proportion of the VAT, while still undercutting retailers that pay VAT. Because these items tend to be VAT inclusive as far as the customer is concerned they are simply buying the goods cheaper. It is excellent news that this practice has been stopped.

It is excellent news

do you really care that much ? It's still a race to the bottom and the high street retailers are not going to survive - since they cannot compete on in-stock inventory or price. The delivery companies and big distribution chains still win this and then kill each other. It's evolutionary.

DVDs and books are not long for this world anyhow.

The truth is that small jurisdictions on the fringes move from one loophole or tax or revenue saving scheme to the next, whether its exemption from CGT, Death Duties, CTT, IHT, VAT or captive Insurers, saving products, deposits with interest paid gross, flagging out or on line gaming via consultancy and other employment and payroll schemes.

Each has a limited life before the gap is plugged, only the first few in any field make money and they constantly have to work hard to invent and exploit the next one

Spot on.

It is excellent news

do you really care that much ? It's still a race to the bottom and the high street retailers are not going to survive - since they cannot compete on in-stock inventory or price. The delivery companies and big distribution chains still win this and then kill each other. It's evolutionary.

DVDs and books are not long for this world anyhow.

I couldn't care less about high street retailers, it's multimillion pound companies avoiding paying tax that I think is wrong.

did i not read that Duke logistics has just been set up at ronaldsway to do the same type of thing ?

they have shut their shop in castle street, i went on sunday to buy a dvd !!!

got the one i wanted yesterday in ramsey and the shop knocked a couple of pounds off, result !!!

Mind you, Cambon is the poster who thought a while back that gold was a bad risk.

It was and still is. But please go ahead and prove me wrong :-)

Care to elaborate??

Because it has no commercial value.

Why does it need commercial value? It is money, and has been money for thousands of years. What's changed?

As with everything, it is only as valuable as the 'value' someone attributes to it...and for thousands of years people have deemed it to be of value as a store of wealth. Fiat currency on the other hand is only as valuable as the solvency of the country which has issued it, and with the solvency of sovereign nations being called into question at present, as well as mass quantitive easing and historically low interest rates, the value of the piece of paper in your pocket is becoming ever less by the day, in direct correlation to the price of precious metals. That fact alone tells you where people wish to place their wealth in times of economic crisis, regardless of it's 'commercial value'.

I would agree with you if currencies were still based on the "Gold Standard". However, they are not. Therefore, gold is valued in Fiat currencies, and so investing in gold is simply investing in desirability, and the hopes it continues. As with all financial advice, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Values can go up as well as down. Other than desirability, gold has few uses. It is effectively worthless.

Spot on. Gold is valued in fiat currencies, the same fiat currencies that are losing value daily, and will continue to lose value daily until we change the whole debt-based monetary system. Therefore it isn't the value of gold that is increasing per sé, rather the purchasing power of the currencies that it is valued in is decreasing.

Thus in a collapsing system (like we have now) gold is a store of wealth, you don't 'invest' in gold as it doesn't give a return. So to keep your 'wealth' in cash, in a bank, you're effectively throwing a proportion of your money down the drain whereas if you transfer it to gold, and then swap it back whenever you need currency, you're beating inflation and eliminating your risk as physical gold has no counter-party risk.

Why do you think we have had, and still have, 'Cash For Gold & Silver' shops springing up everywhere? The people behind these understand how it works, but your average joe who walks in and pawns in his gold chain for a few hundred quid thinks he's getting a great deal, in reality he's being fleeced out of the one thing in his possession which is actually of 'value'.

. Other than desirability, gold has few uses. It is effectively worthless.

Here we go again. Cambon stating something as fact which is basically bollocks. Gold has many uses in industry.

I gave up discussing with Cambon when he insisted that Jersey Sales Tax could be easily grossed up to estimate what the IoM might receive in VAT and chose to ignore the relevent differences in GDP, and the fact that Jersey Charge Sales Tax on many items that elsewhere are zero rated.

Archived