Charity Warning Over Raw Sewage Discharge Levels

il buono

From the BBC website;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15725207

Seems we are not alone but then have these authorities spent a significant proportion of their piggy bank to solve the problem only to fail big time.

Let's have a list of the pipes still discharging sewage off the coast of the Isle of Man. And a list of our beaches that have Blue Flag status.

Does anybody know?

I have never heard mentioned the effect of the tanker which operates out of Liverpool continously in a wide arc up to the manx twelve mile limit pumping out concentrated sewage sludge. How much of this polution washes up here?

A quick look at the link seems to show little correlation betweeen the level of treatment at a given location its bathing water quality.

Douglas with full treatment has a few fails, Ramsey with no treatment has straight passes and Kirk Michael with Settlement tanks only has one fail. etc.

The Summerhill discharge has 'good to excellent' results yet it still stinks. The Broadway point is forever being repaired.

The seaweed in the bay is thriving due to poor initial environmental impact planning when the breakwater was conceived and built and the fact that its feeding on our waste which is supposed to be treated.

Douglas is the gateway to the island and this beach is disgraceful, my wife says when she was a girl it was nice golden sand, I don't know how you would describe it now? Crap?

And it costs to clear it up, what a waste.

Maybe extending the outfall pipes further out would help so that it discharges into a current and not a stagnant bay.

Better spending £1.9m on this than a decrepit pier that should have been sold for scrap!

The Summerhill discharge has 'good to excellent' results yet it still stinks. The Broadway point is forever being repaired.

The seaweed in the bay is thriving due to poor initial environmental impact planning when the breakwater was conceived and built and the fact that its feeding on our waste which is supposed to be treated.

Douglas is the gateway to the island and this beach is disgraceful, my wife says when she was a girl it was nice golden sand, I don't know how you would describe it now? Crap?

And it costs to clear it up, what a waste.

Maybe extending the outfall pipes further out would help so that it discharges into a current and not a stagnant bay.

Better spending £1.9m on this than a decrepit pier that should have been sold for scrap!

I can't remember where or when, but someone wrote on a past forum thread that the extension of Douglas sea port, had an affect on the seaweed and waste returning to the shore? Can anyone remember something like this?

• 2 weeks later...

One measure to improve water quality could be to encourage owners to clean up after their dogs when they're using the beaches (to shit on).

There's a fair volume of dog shit left on the beaches every day, and I read an article at http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2002-06-07-dog-usat.htm that suggests that dog faeces can impact significantly on bathing water quality.

There's obviously a big problem with untreated sewage here, despite the IRIS project, but hundreds of dogs crapping in the bathing water every day isn't going to help either.

Disappointingly it doesn't mention whether the dog shit being white makes any difference.

Archived