Mr Houghton And Manual Workers Debate

mrmad

no. I just think it should be attractive to those with knowledge and experience to stand for election. Some of the jobs mentioned have early retirement ...so why not make it attractive for these "retired" surgeons ,doctors,teachers lwayers etc to stand for election.

People who have the necessary experience and education for the job in hand.

I am all for democracy so long as the people who stand have the required attributes....i don't want some muppet with no qualifications up against another muppet with no qualifications....theres not much choice then.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i quote myself here in reply....

"I am all for MHK's getting a pay rise so long as they are qualified to do the job. If they aren't and are just put there by default then they should give give the same % rise they vote to give themselves to those who do the all important work "

I also asked if Mr Bell is an economist...just because he's worked for 20 years doesn't mean he has had 20 years as an economist! Anyway I am asking the question because I don't know the answer...maybe he is.

People who have the necessary experience and education for the job in hand.

I would have thought desire, determination and drive would be far more attractive attributes for candidates. You can gain experience. You can be taught. You can't be made to try your hardest.

In a free world, anyone can put themselves forward for election and that's really the way it should be. Anything else is, well, a bit mason :ph34r:

PS. Slim, you've got some quote above associated with vader when they were made by Ripsaw. Before the indignant blustering wrath descends on you, you might want to edit ;)

"I am all for MHK's getting a pay rise so long as they are qualified to do the job. If they aren't and are just put there by default then they should give give the same % rise they vote to give themselves to those who do the all important work "

I see what you're saying. I don't know the justification for the mhk pay rise, but I'd hope it was justified somehow. Managing vs doing is a tricky thing, it may look to some like the manager isn't working as hard as the guys doing the jobs, but things can't operate without managers in charge.

I also asked if Mr Bell is an economist...just because he's worked for 20 years doesn't mean he has had 20 years as an economist!   Anyway I am asking the question because I don't know the answer...maybe he is.

As I think a few people have pointed out, I doubt Mr Bell has that much to do with actually draughting new tax legislation and the like. In fact, I'm sure I saw an advert in the courier a few weeks ago for a civil servant in such a position. I think his job is to oversee and represent the department.

Ans: oh well :)

I have nothing against Civil servants running the economy....they are usually educated people who have relevant qualifications.

I think people get it mixed up...the MHK's should only be there to ensure the Civil servants do their work properly. They should be the publics representative to make sure it is done right.

What we have at the moment is MHK's making decisions they have no qualifications to take....hence cock ups are made.

Mr Houghton has no right at all to tell me and others I should take a less than inflation rise. His colleagues cocked the rate of inflation up by not being on top of their job....the taxpayer shouldn't be paying for that mistake.

Mr Houghton would do well to remember that you, I and all the other taxpayers employ him. He is dictated to by us....not the other way around as he will no doubt find out to his cost come election day if the manual workers react in the way they can.

oh and just for the record....I happen to think Mr Houghton has been quite good for North Douglas. I find him approachable, quite intelligent and he is always courteous. His standard of work is high and I admire him for saying things straight. I just think he is wrong on this one point....but its big one.

Mr Houghton would do well to remember that you, I  and all the other taxpayers employ him. He is dictated to by us....not the other way around

I think you would find that if he had a free choice, he would give you the rise you want. But in fact HE is dictated to by the system and the civil servants who have everything financially worked out and bust a gut to stick within estimates at all times.

PS. Slim, you've got some quote above associated with vader when they were made by Ripsaw. Before the indignant blustering wrath descends on you, you might want to edit

Hell no he paid me a compliment saying I spout drivel.

Therefore I would make an excellant MHK :D

Hell no he paid me a compliment saying I spout drivel.

Therefore I would make an excellant MHK

Yes I believe you would.

Could you take some others with you. when i say others could you take rog pk and possibly declan? They all spout the same as you dont they. Are they your mates?

Archived